Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any interest in a modern timer release for LF lens?

Any interest in a modern timer release for LF lens?

I am thinking about building an electronic timer cable release. It can be used a as one shot (LF selfie :-) ) or timed exposure. I am thinking something that can be velcro'ed on to the camera base or tripod leg and then actuate a cable release type of thing.

For user interface, I am thinking about simple 2 selectors:
    1) 2 or 15 secs (LF selfie may take more steps to get into position :-) ) for the first trip.
    2) a logarithmic style "2nd trip" selector from 0 (no timed exposure) then from 30 sec to 2 hours. Unless you are Michael Kenna, that should be long enough?

When doing 15 secs non-timed exposure, there will be the customary blinking LED.
    The unit will probably run on a couple AAAs, bring spares :-). It will have a battery gauge of course.

Questions:
    1) Is this interesting to anyone else?
    2) For timed exposure, it's best to use T mode. Should I go ahead and require that or should I handle B mode too. The design is such that T mode would hardly use any power, not sure about B mode.
    3) I could design it to be all fancy that can be controlled via a phone app, and truth be told, since my main strength is software, this actually would be easier :-) but it is probably overkill?

Fr the eventual question of "how much," if this ever becomes a commercial or KickStarter product, the cost should be fairly minimal. The parts should be well under $15, except for the injection molding. Those require $2000-$3000 startup cost :-/

Comments and suggestions?

Re: Any interest in a modern timer release for LF lens?

Yes, because those long air bulb releases suck.
    There's only one item sort of like this sold but it's using a manual remote and runs about $140. I've started threads on this subject in the past (and a few months back) because i need something like that.
    I planned on using an rc servo and a bluetooth module but i need a new phone first.
    Rfduino was one option but not for $15. Having the phone control it would be a great thing for numerous reasons. An led indicator when the shutter is open would be great.
    Put me down for one.

Timing it is easy, but a lot of shutters need a fairly hard push on the release lever and some require a long small wire push.

I suggest you research shutters before designing anything.

I tried RC servos with a programmable command unit to operate a Packard shutter, you can find my project in the DIY thread.

I use an NOS German spring wound device that works for me on any shutter that can be cable operated.
    Tin Can

hacker extraordinaire

Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I am NOT concerned about the electronic part. That's my dayjob. In fact, we will release our own "better" RFDuino probably in 3-4 months.

Yes, it will use a small servo.

I understand some shutters require more work than others. I am mainly supporting the modern Copal and similar shutters. I am not proficient with mechanical designs, so I figure to get the first version out and see what happens.

The cost will definitely be significantly less than $140. $50($49 :-) ) is probably the ballpark.

Yeah, don't worry about anything other than copal shutters. In a perfect world it would fire my pentax 67II and prontor shutters but hey, you're on the right track. I'm not smart enough to write the app or wire everything myself. I wish you the best of luck.

My Copal 3 requires a cable with a medium-long throw. Not every store-bought one will work for that shutter. It has gotten picky with age/use.

I do not think I would use such a timer much. But at the same time, it would be fun to have. Not being tied to the camera could open up some new types of imagery..who knows?

Sometimes during long exposures I have to close the lens due to wind, then reopen the lens when the wind stops and continue with the exposure. So it might be nice to have an interrupt feature on the timer that can do the same.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'd be interested in that - I often make LF 'selfies' and I am always attached to a bulb and rubber tube in them :-)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

For the selfie I'm guessing you would select a shutter speed and the timer just trips the shutter?

Be nice to have timed exposures using B simply because it's an open/close with only one release stroke.

It would also be easy enough to have a dual size battery holder AA/AAA like some of the NIMH chargers use.

I think a good selling point would be the ability to choose long shutter speeds. The lens shutter goes to 1s. How about 2,4,8,15,30,60,120,240,480 seconds selectable with a dial and displayed on a simple lcd.

Another useful way of using it would be a x second delay. It could permanently replace the cable release (for landscape, probably not for people photos) if it can do it's job without undue vibration if I can push a button and 5 seconds later, the shutter does it's thing.