Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Big Pano Camera Advice?

Re: Big Pano Camera Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Next Question: Developing... I'll either tray process (which I'm really comfortable with) or possibly get a Jobo drum. How do you guys typically dry your negs? For 4x5 or 8x10, I usually tray processed and then transferred the negs to standard steel holders before they went into the film dryer.
    You mean the ones used for holding the film in a tank while processing?
    I'd get some good film clips instead; the metal holders can cause some drying marks at the bottom where liquid can pool.
    Hang the film diagonally in a film dryer or other dust-free enclosed area.

I like Jobo clips, if you can still find them. They pierce the film to hold any sheet size securely, perpendicular to the drying line, for a maximum number of sheets in minimal space. Costly, but worth it in my opinion.

I second the JOBO clips. I've also like stainless steel dental film clips, but I've only used them on film up to 5x7. I think they would be fine on 4x10.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    I second several other posters: look at 6x17 in MF. Easier to scan and do in color. For flexibility and view camera functionality look at the Shen Hao PTB617, for a super wide angle of view look at the Noblex 6x12 or even rarer Noblex 6x17. 4x10 seems to me better achieved by cropping 8x10. If you must have LF image for contact printing consider 7x17 or 8x20 perhaps? Optically enlarging or scanning will be fine with 6x17 in MF for most purposes.
    The size of a Nobex negative is about 5X12 cm or 5X17 cm. Given that the taking lens is 50mm this is a very wide angle look. However, the image is formed by the lens rotating across the film, which uses only the central sweet spot of the lens, so it is very, very sharp, and even in terms of illumination. With a drum scan of 4000 - 5000 dpi a 5X12 cm a good B&W negative from a Noblex can be printed at 32- 64 inches wide.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The size of a Nobex negative is about 5X12 cm or 5X17 cm. Given that the taking lens is 50mm this is a very wide angle look. However, the image is formed by the lens rotating across the film, which uses only the central sweet spot of the lens, so it is very, very sharp, and even in terms of illumination. With a drum scan of 4000 - 5000 dpi a 5X12 cm a good B&W negative from a Noblex can be printed at 32- 64 inches wide.

Sandy
    Yes, actually the 6x12 Noblex has a wider field of view than the 6x17. Either way they are insanely sharp. But not good for windy days or rapid light changes due to the swing lens system. You can use filters which are fine for B&W but grads are a bit winging it because you have only a viewfinder and 5mm shift doesn't make it too easy to guess when the filter kicks in like a groundglass. Still I think the Noblex is an incredible tool for super wide panos.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    Actually, I've thought about a 6x17 solution for a long time (I love my 6x12 back on 4x5)... Smaller, easier, you can carry more film and so many emulsions available! The real impetus for 4x10 is being able to make HUGE prints (inkjet or light jet). I can scan up to 4000 dpi. (Also, 10" is the longest neg I can mount on my drum scanner) So, a 4x10 let's me make a 50" x 133" print... which I actually think I will do for a series I'm working on. 6x17 would yield a 30"x90" print, which is still friggin huge, but not as peripheral-filling immersive as the 50x133.

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

Next Question: Developing... I'll either tray process (which I'm really comfortable with) or possibly get a Jobo drum. How do you guys typically dry your negs? For 4x5 or 8x10, I usually tray processed and then transferred the negs to standard steel holders before they went into the film dryer.
    I reckon with a fixed system like Noblex 617 you could go that big with a great drum scan but you'd have to try. Happy to send you a neg to test. As to drying I recommend dental film clips that grab with a single tooth at the corner of the film and then drip dry in a dust free cabinet with not airflow movement and a paper towel in the bottom.

I routinely shoot with an 8x10 Chamonix fitted with a 4x10 reducing back. If you prefer the Philips-style camera (over the Canham), you should know there is a nice 4x10 back available. I usually carry both backs. I much prefer a dedicated back when composing and am willing to carry a few extra holders. Also, no need to cut film as Ilford offers 4x10 B&W sheet film as part of their yearly ULF order. Right now Fotocare in NYC has 4x10 in stock. I process 4x10 in Expert drums in a JOBO with no problems. Just my 2c.

Chris B, I used to have a custom 4x10 box camera with a helical mount (a la Jay Dusard). When you very wide....I used a 90mm super-angulon XL. They cover very nicely

Landscape Addict

Unless you totally need colour to achieve your work, a 4x10 or 5x12 inch camera is going to cost largely the same as a 7x17 or 8x20 in the used market.. If you want big, go big..
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

I've used 7x17 and 6x10. I still use a 12x20. When choosing a lens to use, it sometimes helps me to think of the nearest "conventional" format that the long format could be cut from and then consider the lens in relation to that "conventional format". For example, when using the 12x20, I think of lenses in terms of a 16x20 negative. Similarly for the 6x10 it helped to consider the 8x10 format for the same lens and 14x17 for 7x17. Nothing special; it's just a mental trick to get my mind moving in the right direction for visualizing the field of view and compositional area. Of course, experience is the best teacher...

I've used the Noblex, too. Beautiful camera that takes wonderfully sharp images. Now that's a panoramic camera! If you ever have a chance to look at Macduff Everton's book, The Western Horizon, you should. The images are stunning and were done with the Noblex.