Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Request clarification of large format.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Request clarification of large format.

And what of the sub-35mm dslr's adapted to the back of a 4x5 with multiple frames stitched together... Large format?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

This has been addressed many times, only a few times in my short time here, but I am pretty certain that my 2x3 View camera images are banned if I mention I used that size camera. I was once admonished to not post those images in the general LF site, but to move them to Tiny Format. I do not recall which moderator told me that.

I mean my 2X3 Speeder, my Linhof Color Kardan 6X9 and my...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I think you are wrong Randy...........at least I think you would have been wrong when I was a moderator.

"We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras)."
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    This has been addressed many times, only a few times in my short time here, but I am pretty certain that my 2x3 View camera images are banned if I mention I used that size camera. I was once admonished to not post those images in the general LF site, but to move them to Tiny Format. I do not recall which moderator told me that.

I believe Kirk is right on this. If you look at the large format home page you will see articles on 2X3 and 6X9 view cameras/technical cameras, and lenses. The guidelines clearly state.

"We do, however, allow what would otherwise be considered "medium format" sizes, IF exposed in a view camera (e.g. with a roll-film adapter), technical, or old-style press camera (e.g. the various Graphic cameras)."

That clearly applies to film, and if your posts have been banned for this reason the moderator erred IMO.

What is not clear to me whether the use of a digital device in combination with a view camera or technical camera is also considered large format "for this forum."

None of this has any impact on what I will personally use in my work, but clarification as to what can be discussed in the main forums is needed IMO.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Drew Wiley

Just an opinion, Sandy. But because this uses basic techniques just like in a view camera, and because it is often important to weigh one particular form of capture versus another in terms of practicality using analogous camera equipment, it would just seem to make sense to include that kind of discussion somewhere on this
    forum for the benefit of others with similar needs. It's not like a DLSR discussion. But the moderators draw the line. I don't see any difference between what this
    amounts to and what someone like me might do when I travel with both 4x5 sheet film holders and 6x9 roll film holders for the same view camera.

I think our definition is a frustrating to those of us who shoot 2-1/4 X 3-3/4 Sheet film in a 2 X 3 View camera. I think of it as LF and the forum does not.
    Where does one get 2 1/4x 3/1/4 sheet film? (I have one carefully apportioned box of HP5+ left in the freezer.)
    Thanks,
    W.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Where does one get 2 1/4x 3/1/4 sheet film?...
    As part of the annual Ilford special sizes order program. See attached list.

Unfortunately, the cutoff for this year's orders was June 27, with deliveries to occur in the next month or six weeks. So, unless you find a dealer that ordered extra boxes to hold and sell, you're out of luck until next year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilford 2014 special order list.pdf  

They never got removed or challenged by me. I was part of trying to refine this definition that resulted in the phrasing above and by my understanding yours would pass. Note it does not say if exposed in 4x5 or larger VC.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk is correct in his interpretation of the current rules. The exception for what would otherwise be considered "medium format" press, technical and view cameras was an historical accommodation for those film formats exposed in those cameras, and was not intended to be an extension of "large format" per se.

It does, however, create confusion, particularly if extended to digital capture devices attached to a view camera designed for the exposure of 4x5 or larger film. So, I would also agree with Sandy that a clarification is in order. I'll raise the question within the moderator group.

Freestyle stocks both Arista and Ilford. Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Where does one get 2 1/4x 3/1/4 sheet film? (I have one carefully apportioned box of HP5+ left in the freezer.)
    Thanks,
    W.
    Tin Can

Freestyle stocks both Arista and Ilford. Here.
    Thanks, Randy.
    W.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)