Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: modern lens prices on eBay

modern lens prices on eBay

It's been a while since I've dabbled with ebay camera gear. Some decent deals but enough clunckers to where I only have the urge to sell there and not buy. Probably my reliable is KEH which I think has better prices and grading than Midwest and often beats what I see on eBay.

My theory on prices is that there are better prices for sellers from a little before Christmas to a little after the first of the year when some tax return anticipation and "gifts for me" are going on. And then in spring time when folks are getting a little anticipation of getting out doors. Summer seems lower activity with vacations and other outdoor stuff.

I've kept an eye on prices for LF lenses for only a couple of years, and if there's a pattern at all it seems that prices tend to fall during the summer. But the greatest variations from the standard prices provided by stores has to do with the type of lens. "Fashionable" lenses like the Sironar S, Schneider XL etc. are often cheaper at the various MPEX, KEH etc. Whereas their more mundane counterparts can still be had at much better prices than the stores' if one is patient enough.

Bought:

Symmar S 210/5.6 $290.00 (had some schneideritis otherwise mint) later traded in at a store for $400.00

Super Angulon MC 120/8 $450.00 (mint)

Sold:

Older Fuji W 135 /5.6 $200.00 (single coated mint)

I track various lenses, including Grandagons, and have a sense that prices are firmer in early spring and late summer, both preceeding prime landscape shooting seasons.

I try not to browse ebay as much as I used to. I bought a Kodak 203 mm f/7.7 lens earlier this year at a local camera store for $49.95. That lens was in great shape, is very sharp and the shutter seems to work fine too.