Thread: wannabe LF shooter in greater DC area

wannabe LF shooter in greater DC area

I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm getting very interested in getting a 4x5 but I'm pretty overwhelmed with the amount of information out there. I shot 35mm before digital and then went from crop to full frame digital and now dabble back in 35mm again. I'd like to shoot landscape initially and will probably shoot portrait/figures and urban scenes in the future.

I'm a little hesitant to drop what will probably amount to ~$500 to get enough used equipment to start shooting. Does anyone know how I can get my feet wet for less cash?

Here's what I'm thinking about getting as an introductory setup, what am I missing?

Speed Graphic $150
    2x film holders $80
    ~90mm lens $150 (assumed)

Thanks!!!!

Mike

David Schaller

Re: wannabe LF shooter in greater DC area

Welcome! You can find used film holders for much less. Check KEH "almost new" Lisco holders. Or buy here or APUG. You may be too optimistic about the price of a Speed Graphic, and if not, you will probably have to spend some money having the shutter serviced. For landscape, and portraits, you don't need a focal plane shutter. There are many threads about first cameras on this forum. Try Google for searching this forum.
    Dave

Thanks for the recommendation for APUG, I didn't know about them. I found 6x film holders there for $30.

Am I being overly ambitious to think that I could service my own camera? I'm pretty handy and like to tinker with stuff so I figured I could handle any of the repairs if need be.

Also, is there any 'essential' gear that I'm overlooking?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Film. Don't forget the film!

If you are going for only one lens I'd go for 125mm - ie slightly wide or 150mm ie normal. Fujinon f5.6 versions are usually a good deal.

Welcome the LFF, Mike. I think a 4x5 camera with more movements and a lens with more coverage (maybe a 150mm-210mm) makes a better starting kit. Speed Graphics are great cameras, but they have very limited movements--one of the joys of using a LF camera. There are some reasonably-priced options ($150-250) like a Graphic View, Sinar, or Toyo/Calumet. The downside is they're all monorails and not as compact as field cameras, but they all have extensive movements.

Thanks Barry, I thought about monorails and talked myself out of them due to lack of portability. You're right though, I'm definitely looking to experience what the movements have to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by campos View Post
    Thanks Barry, I thought about monorails and talked myself out of them due to lack of portability. You're right though, I'm definitely looking to experience what the movements have to offer.
    Field cameras are generally more expensive, but I do see Toyo 45A cameras selling in the $350-$450 range. That's pretty much rock bottom for a quality 4x5 field camera.

This is one time when the "you must be a member for a month" rule gets in the way. Over in the For Sale forum someone is selling a Calumet CC-400 for $100, including storage case. While it is a relatively heavy monorail, it would be an excellent starter camera, especially given your price constraints.

Regardless, welcome to the forum, and the world of large format. I was shooting the NYC skyline from Liberty State Park (here in NJ) yesterday, and predictably someone came over, asked if I was Ansel Adams (despite the fact that I have neither his talent nor any resemblance) and was amazed to hear that 4x5 film is still available. So we definitely need some more AA look-alikes (or not)

Welcome to LF and the LF Forum. I started off with an old banged up Cambo 4x5 (which I still have), a new Nikkor 150, and two smelly old holders. You will eventually figure out what you need and what works for what you do. Good luck!