Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Re: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    I'd say that with a chamonix which is pretty flat when folded you should get 6 holders into the main compartment.. I use a much bigger Tachihara and still manage to put two or three holders in. All the rest of stuff goes into front and side pockets - but I am only making daytrips - I can't imagine squeezing in sleeping gear for an overnighter.
    I'm not sure, the special protection boxes that are provided by photobackpacker which I do own, I had to use the largest one, and the Chamonix hardly fits in it, it's such a snug fit I'm worried about damaging the camera when I try to take it out of the padded protection case, and the case of course adds more book, I'm not sure if you're supposed to use the case with the backpack itself, or if the backpack is enough protection on its own. So I'm not sure if the Chamonix is quite as small as you think it is, but maybe it's flatter so you're possibly write that it might be able to squeeze something on top.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I use a P3 for my Chamonix 8x10. A single side pocket is easily enough for a water bottle, food, and a small med kit. A couple weeks ago I took the kit shooting and brought along two cascades, but could only fit one in the pack. It might be possible getting two cascades in the main compartment, but it felt like I was going to tear out the zipper. The extra cascade also didn't fit in the rear compartment. I can't remember if that was because I had some other gear in there or if it was too thick--I'll have to check again. I ended up carrying the extra cascade separately--not ideal.
    Did you also use the lens cases to hold lenses with in the pack? Or on the side of the pack? I have two of those lens cases, and generally carry 5 lenses these days (150, 210, 300, 450, 600) , three are small (middle section) and two are huge (comparatively, they are all small-ish but the big ones are the extreme ends of wide and long)

So wondering how many lenses you have and where they fit.

Sad about the second cascade,

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm not sure, the special protection boxes that are provided by photobackpacker which I do own, I had to use the largest one, and the Chamonix hardly fits in it, it's such a snug fit I'm worried about damaging the camera when I try to take it out of the padded protection case, and the case of course adds more book, I'm not sure if you're supposed to use the case with the backpack itself, or if the backpack is enough protection on its own. So I'm not sure if the Chamonix is quite as small as you think it is, but maybe it's flatter so you're possibly write that it might be able to squeeze something on top.

Did you also use the lens cases to hold lenses with in the pack? Or on the side of the packing? I have two of those lens cases, and generally carry 5 lenses these days (150, 210, 300, 450, 600) , three are small (middle section) and two are huge (comparatively, they are all small-ish but the big ones are the extreme ends of wide and long)

So wondering how many lenses you have and where they fit.

Sad about the second cascade,

Thanks!
    I just tried emptying the back pocket of my P3, and a fully-loaded 8x10 cascade fits perfectly. There was even a little bit of room at the top of the pocket to fit my Sekonic spot meter. The anatomy of my pack from bottom to top is--rolled up dark cloth to help cushion the camera, Chamonix in 8x10 case, and long 6x6 case at top with a max of four lenses. With your lenses on Technika boards, it should be possible to carry five.

I just tried emptying the back pocket of my P3, and a fully-loaded 8x10 cascade fits perfectly. There was even a little bit of room at the top of the pocket to fit my Sekonic spot meter. The anatomy of my pack from bottom to top is--rolled up dark cloth to help cushion the camera, Chamonix in 8x10 case, and long 6x6 case at top with a max of four lenses. With your lenses on Technika boards, it should be possible to carry five.
    Cool thanks, too bad he's out of the longest 4x4 cases the extra would be nice. I have to use 2 cases which ads a bit of space taken up.

Alas I also have no money so it's a mute point right now. I'm in school and can't afford to divert funds for a pack :/

Thanks.

No coincidence there. That pocket was sized at the factory to accommodate the 8x10 cascade with filmholders.

Bruce
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    No coincidence there. That pocket was sized at the factory to accommodate the 8x10 cascade with filmholders.

Bruce
    Bruce--Thank you for that bit of planning! I couldn't remember the chronology of the P3 introduction in relation to the cascades, and was thinking it would have made sense to make sure you could carry six 8x10 holders.

I've recently received my P3 with several lens cases and camera case, looks great! Hoping to give it a "test drive" this weekend. As for fitting it all together, I guess the idea is to use the double-sided velcro strips to attach the lens & camera cases to the backer board?

And now I'm wishing that I'd also bought a cascade or two while I was at it, would have worked out cheaper over all (international shipping). Oh well, time to log back into PayPal and place another order