Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apps for Large Format

Re: Apps for Large Format

My apology :-) I didn't know the author did not port it to iOS.

I'm pretty sure I found the original reference here, a year or two ago. I guess as the author has not yet spoken up, it's actually either on APUG, or that he is currently not active on the forum these past few days.

Japan Exposures

I am using Field Tools for DoF calculations (iOS)

Two easier methods than apps. I use a Technika viewfinder to examine the scene and it's 10 times faster than the viewfinder app which i have had since it came out.

The second thing is that I use non residue paper artist's tape on my holders. All the info is written on the spot, the development chosen at that point and the tape comes off and rides along with the negative's envelope...WAY better than recorded notes. I use 8 colors which code the emulsion..no mistakes there either.

I would like to see a smart phone app for checking shutter speeds in the field.

I have been told that a mechanical shutter deemed "accurate" may vary form the marked speed by 30%. I would think that ambient temperature and humidity could affect the accuracy as conditions change as well.

Could a flash-meter app be adapted to check how long the shutter is open?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post

Could a flash-meter app be adapted to check how long the shutter is open?
    I think the ambient light sensors on smart phones are too slow to measure this. you'd need twice the sampling rate to measure a shutter speed, e.g., 400Hz for 1/200.

The other options would be to use sound recording or the video camera (but the sampling or frame rate of the video cameras too slow also).

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    The second thing is that I use non residue paper artist's tape on my holders. All the info is written on the spot, the development chosen at that point and the tape comes off and rides along with the negative's envelope...WAY better than recorded notes. I use 8 colors which code the emulsion..no mistakes there either.
    I like this - but how do you match the note to the film after development, i.e. how do you know what sheet was in which holder after processing?

The downside to apps is when there is an update, such as the case with iOS 8, many of the apps crash.
    Filmholder app won't allow a new film to be entered but the app still functions otherwise.
    Lightmeter app crashes.
    ExpDev updated and works but they still haven't introduced a suggestion I made two years ago and was agreed would be implemented; when starting a new exposure having the last entered EV numbers saves a lot of dicking around not having to start at zero each time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    The downside to apps is when there is an update, such as the case with iOS 8, many of the apps crash.
    Filmholder app won't allow a new film to be entered but the app still functions otherwise.
    Lightmeter app crashes.
    ExpDev updated and works but they still haven't introduced a suggestion I made two years ago and was agreed would be implemented; when starting a new exposure having the last entered EV numbers saves a lot of dicking around not having to start at zero each time.
    Thats more the fault of the app develops not staying on top of updating the app to be compatible with updated version of iOS.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Two easier methods than apps. I use a Technika viewfinder to examine the scene and it's 10 times faster than the viewfinder app which i have had since it came out.

One reason why I use an easy to fix revolver viewfinder too for my LF. Second reason is to save my privacy as good as possible. Condition to load apps make it impossible. They are rather curious.
    My post here to consider this point was blot out. Freedom of thougts?

regards,
    rhineroo

I did write Photo Tools Pro for large format users. Haven't upgraded it in a while but people say it works pretty well... works in iOS8 just fine...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing