Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Apps for Large Format

Re: Apps for Large Format

Not really an App:

Why not a lensNany-ish piece of hardware that would turn any tablet into a digital view camera? There would probably need to be some sort of app to go with it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thank You!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Here is my lens extension app

Attachment 130318Attachment 130317

I try to simplify when possible.

My two most used lenses in the field seem to be a 150mm and a 210 mm (in 4x5). By prefiguring the correction,: the 150mm needs ~1/3rd stop more exposure for every inch beyond 6 inches and the 210mm needs ~1/4thmore for each inch beyond 8".

When working inside with table top set-ups maybe I'll figure it out more closely.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by atorger View Post
    I recently made a depth of field calculator app called "Lumariver Depth of Field" (available at both Android and iOS) that I think can be relevant for large format, although I use it myself on a digital Linhof Techno system for now. The app does plain focusing (not macro) and tilt focusing. I think it's primarily the tilt aspect that makes it more interesting for large format users than the typical depth of field app. It's mainly intended for landscape photography use cases. In addition to hinge distance calculations in provides the height of the in-focus window (wedge span at infinity), and intersections if you choose to put the hinge distance below the ground level (useful for longer lenses).

You can find more info about it here: http://www.lumariver.com/#LumariverDoF

It's not a free app, but I can assure you I have put plenty effort in it, and it's pretty well documented

I've attached a couple of screenshots below for a Nikkor-SW 90/8 lens, used with and without tilt (to separate screens within the app). The concept is based around interconnected scrollers, when you move one the others follow (if necessary) according to the depth of field formulas. Here's a brief 90 second video showing the scrollers in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOQYFlHCz70&rel=0
    I've just released a new update (v1.0.4) of this which includes a lens database. You can always enter your lenses manually as before if you're using something exotic (which is common in the large format world), but if you have one of the common Rodenstock, Schneider, Fujinon or Nikkor lenses you can pick it directly from the bundled database.

Hello
    There is an app for iOS to take note of shoot ?
    PhotoTools is good but not will support in iOS 11 and many other app will not supported
    Thanks

I bought Lumariver depth of field app today. So far, I'm very impressed. I was photographing the other day behind a frozen waterfall, under a rock shelf, with my 4x5 and a 90mm lens. Even with a Maxwell screen, the edges of the frame were really hard to see. This app and my laser distance measure would've been a big help. I plan on using it tomorrow with Pali's panorama camera, which only has distance scales. User report: The app worked great!
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 20-Jan-2019 at 15:46.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

A freeApp: Sunny sixteen.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

How in the world did Adams, Weston, Baer and the like ever take a good picture?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Lumariver app

I bought Lumariver today - it looks fairly useful once you get familiar with it. There are a couple of issues with it though. I used my tablet to purchase, and it downloaded successfully, but I really want to use it on my smartphone, and there seems to be no way in PlayStore to put it onto a second device, or even to purchase it again to do so. That is problematic, as I don't take my tablet in the field. The second issue is that there seems to be no local help in the application, and the e-manual, while comprehensive, can't be downloaded, and I do occasionally work in areas where there is no coverage; having to go to the Net whenever I need some help is fairly clumsy. I shall persevere, as it is the tilt calculations I want to use with my LF cameras.

I must be developing an age related Ludite condition.

Aps for large format photography . . .A good bit of the fun for me is previsualizing the image and doing the work that will get the image on film. If there was an app that would let me see more clearly or focus more accurately, well maybe. But my eye doctor can't help so a smart phone app is unlikely to fix me up.

I suppose the level function or the calculator function would help, but I'd hate to drop the phone while juggling meter, loup and film holder with cold hands in a breeze. Already have a hardware store level I can afford to lose or break. Correction for bellows extension is head math and pretty much pre-figured.

Yeah . . .guess I just don't get it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com