Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid 8x10 w/81-05 holder

Polaroid 8x10 w/81-05 holder

Curious if anyone is using the 81-05 holder with Impossible 8x10 film. This would be as opposed to the 81-06 holder with 81-09 loading tray, which is supposed to be easier to use. I've been all over YouTube and can't find a video of anyone using the 81-05 holder. A video would be great if someone can point me to one. As far as user experiences, I've found a few anecdotal things, but nothing conclusive. I would really like to hear from someone who uses it regularly and can impart some advice. My hardware (holder and processor) appear to be in very good shape. I haven't ordered film yet, but at $20 a pop, it doesn't lend itself to much practice. So I'm doing as much research as I can up front.

Is the main problem with the 81-05 holder around inserting the positive sheet? I've also read that it holds the film too tightly. Thoughts or advice?

Thanks.

Re: Polaroid 8x10 w/81-05 holder

It takes some practice, but works just fine with the 81-05, i have been using it for a long time, with the impossible material and before that with the polaroid stuff.

The polaroid material was usually really awful, and even when it worked it did not really work. The IP stuff is slightly better, with better tolerances with the holders.

Using the newer style holder and the tray is easier, but, considering the fact they are so hard to find, and so expensive when they do come up for sale, the 81-05 is more then fine.

Expect to get 3-4 wasted shots, but once you get the hand of it, you are all set.

I also ruined 3 IP films with 81-05 holder, then stopped.

Frustrating~
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Pierre: Can you be specific about the problems you've had? What went wrong exactly?

I had the 81-05 holder and never had any problems with Impossible film. My unit came with the original Polaroid instructions which were quite simple to follow, I guess I should have scanned them as a quick google search doesn't show that they are online anywhere.

Vince Donovan

I've shot about 5 boxes of 8x10 IP through the 81-05. It does take a few shots to get the hang of sliding the receiver (positive) sheet into the holder slot, but once I did it a few times it was no problem. The Impossible Project receiver sheet is thinner than the Polaroid sheets were, so it tends to buckle a little when you slide it into the holder, but, like I said, after you get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    It takes some practice, but works just fine with the 81-05, i have been using it for a long time, with the impossible material and before that with the polaroid stuff.

The polaroid material was usually really awful, and even when it worked it did not really work. The IP stuff is slightly better, with better tolerances with the holders.

Using the newer style holder and the tray is easier, but, considering the fact they are so hard to find, and so expensive when they do come up for sale, the 81-05 is more then fine.

Expect to get 3-4 wasted shots, but once you get the hand of it, you are all set.
    Um, back when Polaroid was actually making 8x10 film and when it could be had fresh, it was leaps and bounds better than ANYTHING IP is offering now.
    Sorry to contradict you, but 809, 803, and 804 were AMAZING.(again, I'm talking about in-date Polaroid film, which of course has not been available for some time.)
    Sorry I haven't tried the 81-05 with IP film, but Vince says he has had success, and he knows what he is about.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Well, I'm happy for the slightly more encouraging feedback that makes me think the 81-05 holder isn't a lost cause entirely.

In terms of "wasting shots" (as two people have mentioned) does this happen because of some problem around getting the positive inserted properly? It seems like once it's in, it's in. Or is there something else that can go wrong with these holders?

Many things can go wrong with such a large sheet and a processor. They do not get sucked in right, or the crimp, or the pod is not spread right, or, it just does not work...

RE polaroid material - Ever since fuji material became available, it was apparent to anyone who used this stuff just how bad polaroid material really was. Colors were never right, contrast was off, exposure - dont ask, and sharpness was an issue with most color films. All of the above was and is close to perfection with the Fuji color material, and not to mention the BW material they sadly no longer make. Polaroid BW was not as awful as the color, and in some cases was not bad at all (IE T55), but oh, so much work to be able to use it...

That said, the IP stuff is pretty bad on its own accord, without having to need to compare it to polatoid stuff - but - as it is the only 8X10 instant film, and soon the only instant film to me made, who are we to complain...