Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tetenal E6 times for 270ml solution on CPE-2

Tetenal E6 times for 270ml solution on CPE-2

Hi everybody, can anybody help. I've searched for this and finding little or nothing.

I'm using a Jobo CPE 2 with 1520 Unitank for my 120 films and a 2523 for 4x5. I split the tetenal kit into 2 x 500ml batches for the 3 bath bottles. I process single roll at a time in the 1520 and 6 sheets in the 2523. The problem I have is both tanks only require 240ml & 270ml for processing and I am not sure of the yield. After the first run on fresh solutions, it means pouring used back into fresh solution, hence calculating the yield. I'm also unsure when the FD is no longer usable. I've read that it is the FD that goes in Tetenal.

I'm also unsure which times are best. Some say the Fuji times for 3 bath are ok to use for Tetenal but they are quite different to Tetenal's and Jobo's. I've been using Jobo's times for Fuji films as per 7.30m (FD) 4m (CD) 6m (BLX) and this seems ok but not sure if these are best for longevity.

So, what I've now done is I've mixed up 270ml solution but I'm at a bit of a crossroads and am looking for help.

1. What are the best processing times for this amount of working solution. What are the additional plus any additional time for 2nd, 3rd roll.
    2. What are the additional times for this quantity of solutions?
    3. What yield can I expect? Will I get 3 rolls, 4 rolls, 5 etc.?
    4. How will I know when the FD is finished?

As always, many thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Tetenal E6 times for 270ml solution on CPE-2

I think you're getting way too specific.

Use the times listed for the product you're using.. So use tentnal times...

Using the 500ml solution TWICE with the same times both times with the same times would be fine, probably just use 300ml the first time then the full mix of 500ml the second, that should give the most even.

The only times that matter are the initial developer AFAIK the rest are all "to completion" so using a little longer for the later baths will be just fine to be sure it's to completion.

The kit itself should have given you re-use times. I had some kind of formula but can't remember it now, I did 20 rolls from 1L of chemistry with no exposure issues, I think you could go longer. I think it's like .09 times the dev time for each development after the first if you're using the entire solution each time. But don't quote me on that.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I think you're getting way too specific....Use the times listed for the product you're using.. So use tentnal times...
    I don't think I am. The tetenal timed for CD are 6mins. Jobo recommend only 4mins.

Using the 500ml solution TWICE with the same times both times with the same times would be fine, probably just use 300ml the first time then the full mix of 500ml the second, that should give the most even.
    I can't get my head round what you're saying here. Sorry.

I did 20 rolls from 1L of chemistry with no exposure issues, I think you could go longer.
    Are you sure about that? I've never managed 20 rolls and the kit is only good for 12 rolls.

I've found that 6 minutes for the CD is way too long. I kept chasing exposure problems but I was just killing the shadow detail.

I am doing a very similar 2x 500mL mix but I don't hardly bother with increasing time until I've done dozens of sheets or rolls. I haven't had any problem. Do a clip test if you are worried.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Wait, Tentenal recommends 7 mins with the rotary processor and I have been using that for over a year without issue.

What I do is to use 300ml and mix it fresh each time. The 270ml is the MINIMUM amount. You can put more chemical in there. This makes an easy ratio to mix. From memory:
    FD 240:60
    CD 204:60:36
    BLIX 180:60:60
    ST 270:30

Timing is 7 mins for all except ST. Look at my photos in the Portrait thread, you may not like them, but the development is pretty good (except one time goofed on the CD)
    It's very important to get the ratio of the CD chemicals correct. Use a pipette.

I'm not sure timing is an issue as the Tentenal instructions are quite clear on it?

I don't do rotary so take my opinions with a grain of salt if you are.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Tetenal E6 times for 270ml solution on CPE-2

Quote Originally Posted by kazzam View Post
    I don't think I am. The tetenal timed for CD are 6mins. Jobo recommend only 4mins.

I can't get my head round what you're saying here. Sorry.

Are you sure about that? I've never managed 20 rolls and the kit is only good for 12 rolls.
    Sorry, those times are for hand process, so you should reduce time by 10% or 15% because of rotation as far as I understand it. So... 6minutes -15%=5minutes10seconds so start with 5 minutes and adjust if needed.

There's only on way to know and that's to try and learn from both success and failure... Color negative film really isn't as finicky so I wouldn't worry as much as you are, try one roll that you don't care about and see.

I was saying the difference from one run to the second run as far as "used up" chemicals is so small that simply using 300ml for the first run, and then Re-using the 300ml for the second run PLUS adding the remaining 200ml as a sort of "replenisher" would be sufficient to see no difference in image quality and no change in development times.

The kit is good for 12 rolls in a perfect world, color developer can be re-used several times with extended development times with decent results until exhaustion, you really can't be sure but I stopped at 20 as it seemed a safe place to stop, probably could have gone to 30 without an issue but I was being cautious.

Did that make sense now?

Tentenal PUBLISHES times for Rotary processing on their instructions. We need to hear from the OP to see why he doesn't follow them.

And oh StoneNYC, the Tentenal E-6 instructions does NOT shorten times for rotary processing!

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Tentenal PUBLISHES times for Rotary processing on their instructions. We need to hear from the OP to see why he doesn't follow them.

And oh StoneNYC, the Tentenal E-6 instructions does NOT shorten times for rotary processing!
    Oh their times are already for rotary and not inversion by hand? Sorry I didn't know that. My apologies.