Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    571

    Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    Is the Fuji 250 soft 5.6 lens a type of soft lens that needs discs to control various levels of diffusion? I see it for sale with a disc and without.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis & Flagstaff
    Posts
    26

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    Yes

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    571

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    OK...so no disc , no diffusion . Thanks .

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts USA
    Posts
    8,485

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    The Fujinon SFS gives lovely soft focus without the disk. The disks allow you to create additional, special effects.

    I use a 180 SFS and do not have any disks. See this page for a few sample images, made with the lens stopped down a small amount.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,792

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    The diffusion part of things comes from the perimeter of the lens. As you stop down, cutting off the perimeter, you lose the diffusion, and it turns into a normally-sharp lens. What to do if you need to stop down for the light, and for depth of field, yet keep the diffusion, then? Slip on a disk, which has a central opening for effective aperture to cut down some of the light, and a bunch of holes around the edge, to let through some of the diffusion at the same time, for the best of both worlds.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    571

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    The Fujinon SFS gives lovely soft focus without the disk. The disks allow you to create additional, special effects.

    I use a 180 SFS and do not have any disks. See this page for a few sample images, made with the lens stopped down a small amount.
    Thanks Ken. The Fuji SF lens does give a very nice softness.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    571

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    The diffusion part of things comes from the perimeter of the lens. As you stop down, cutting off the perimeter, you lose the diffusion, and it turns into a normally-sharp lens. What to do if you need to stop down for the light, and for depth of field, yet keep the diffusion, then? Slip on a disk, which has a central opening for effective aperture to cut down some of the light, and a bunch of holes around the edge, to let through some of the diffusion at the same time, for the best of both worlds.
    Thanks for the very informative reply.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia USA
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    I wonder if someone had a CNC machine if they could make a set of disks for the OP? Heck, for anyone needing a set.

  9. #9
    Jim Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chillicothe Missouri USA
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    We can replace the glass from a cheap filter with a disk perforated somewhat like the original disks.

  10. #10
    loujon
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western, PA.
    Posts
    1,576

    Re: Fuji 250 f5.6 soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    I wonder if someone had a CNC machine if they could make a set of disks for the OP? Heck, for anyone needing a set.
    Mid-West photo supply had/has at least one of the two strainers for Fujinon 250 SF lens. Not sure if they have the red dot but they at the least have the yellow.

    http://mpex.com/fuji-250soft-focus-disc-yell.html

Similar Threads

  1. About Fujinon SF (Soft Focus) lenses
    By david clark in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4-Aug-2015, 08:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •