Thread: Simplex lens

Simplex lens

Hello!

I just joined your forum wich i visit from time to time as i am generaly interested about photography, and mostly about older stuff.
    Since today i am happy to own my first brass lens. I did my best to gather any information about but i found nothing...

So, does anyone ever heard about the brand "Simplex". On the one i have, someone can read on the barrel:
    SIMPLEX-RAPID-APLANAT Ser. D 13X18. The apperture is f8-44, and a quick test on a white paper indicates a focal lenght of about 280mm (11inch).
    No serial number or anything else written. The lens came from Belgium in case that may indicates something.

Just a quick view below (the following images are from the auction as i was too tired after hours or reading about lenses of the period)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simplex1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	119921 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simplex2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	119922

From what (if) i understood, my estimation is that this lens must be from around 1890-1900. But i am a total newbee and maybe i am wrong.

I will be very happy if someone may has, and like to share any information about.
    Chris

Re: Simplex lens

Never heard of a Simplex. Too bad it's not a car. Then you'd have something!!

When photography took off on both continents there were zillions of entry level cameras offered by big catalog houses that put their own names on lenses made by other firms we recognize now. Didn't matter then. This one looks european for sure. It will likely remain a mystery.

Nevermind it is not a Simplex car, i am happy even with this...

Yes, most possible is european and also the name sounds British. Another auction a year ago offered a Simplex lens and the seller was from Ukraine. So far, this is the only "information" i found...

I think that 13x18 is/was a European plate/film size. we used Imperial measurements in the UK.
    Pete.

A quick tonight's test with a Russian x2 teleconverter with a...Lumix GM1...
    The lens have possibly delamination problems in the shape of "bubbles" or spots in the front elements. Anyway i had fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060732sm.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	121660