Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselves

Lurker

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

Since we are on a post-it kick, I use them to mark the near and far focus points on the flat bed. I have also used a pencil but don't always remember it.

David

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

The #2 Phillips blade on a "Tinker" Swiss Army Knife really fits the #2 Phillips screws on camera gear extremely well, and is convenient to take to the field.

The (usually purple) thick rubber bands that come with asparagus and broccoli work great on Lee "Snap-on" Polyester filter holders.

A laundered cotton diaper won't leave lint behind so makes a good cloth for wiping your gear down.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

retrogrouchy

Don't go out to a new, hard-to-reach site with just the body (and film and darkcloth and accessories) and leave all your lenses in the cupboard at home.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Don't go out to a new, hard-to-reach site with just the body (and film and darkcloth and accessories) and leave all your lenses in the cupboard at home.
    Don't go out to a new, hard-to-reach site with your 8x10, a dozen film holders, a light meter and no tripod.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Don't go out to a new, hard-to-reach site with your 8x10, a dozen film holders, a light meter and no tripod.
    If you decide to bring all your gear with you, including a cupboard full of lenses and all your film holders, make sure that heavy tripod you just carried for miles has that little screw on the top that allows you to attach a camera to it. I always check that now...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    In the days I was shooting 4x5 film commercially, I once drove from Albuquerque to a town north of Gallup to shoot a new school on the Navajo Reservation for the architect.........and forgot my tripod. Doh! Since then I always keep my tripod in a more obvious place in my truck cab, rather than the back, so I notice immediately if its missing.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Those yellow self-adhesive Post-It sheets are great for labeling holders after the shot. Simply attach them to the darkslide.
    +1
    Recent practice I started following.
    Getting the info concise and clear enough is a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Post-Its are also great for marking the spot on graduated neutral density filter where you want the 'grad line' to be. The spot can be easily seen on the GG.

--Caution-- Be sure to remove the Post-It before exposing the film. Not that I have done this, mind you.

--P
    I havent really used ND filters, could you eleaborate on this?

Thanks.

Bring along a friend who can help to carry some stuff like tat big tripod

Preston Birdwell

Yet another use for Post-It notes...

Jot down the items you forgot to bring along with you. The Post-it is then ceremoniously pasted to your forehead. :-)

PS to Analoguey: Sent you PM.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Vince Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    Bring along a friend who can help to carry some stuff like tat big tripod
    But when the friend says "Yup, everything's in the truck", maybe double check.