Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselves

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

Probably kind of obvious: make up a check list of everything to take. Or at least, go through the steps of taking a mock photo before leaving home to make sure everything's been packed.

I bought a package of heavier duty rubber bands to length-wise wrap around my film holders. Helps insure that a darkslide won't slip open, either before or after an exposure.

retrogrouchy

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

Mobile phones make a passable light meter and long-exposure timer. Also handy that you can google the reciprocity behaviour of some film while in the field...

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Mobile phones make a passable light meter and long-exposure timer. Also handy that you can google the reciprocity behaviour of some film while in the field...
    Sometimes I wonder what film photography would be like today if it were the only kind of photography. I've got the app for reciprocity that helps me time an exposure depending on what film I'm using, if there is any bellows extension coming into play, and still leaves room for exposure compensation. How different would processes, chemistry, enlargers, and other things be if all of a company's R&D was still going into this kind of thing?

Anyways, that's just a suggestion that the reciprocity timer that I use for my apple phone is awesome.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

retrogrouchy

Not forgetting of course the BTZS app and things that allow you to take notes on your shot.

retrogrouchy

Not forgetting of course the BTZS app and things that allow you to take notes on your shot.

I recently bought an Android App called Exposure Assistant which has the reciprocal calculations for all the films I use programmed in. What a time saver when shooting Foma now if someone would open a coffee shop at the top of the hills I shoot in I could do something useful whilst I wait...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    A laundered cotton diaper won't leave lint behind so makes a good cloth for wiping your gear down.
    Now at 80, I hope this purchase doesn't mean I have to endure strange looks at the checkout counter. And I refuse to have kids to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Pre-slit foam pipe insulation is cheap, weighs next to nothing, and comes in a variety of sizes. You can use it to turn your unpadded tripod legs into padded ones in a jiffy. This made my Gitzo 1227 Mk II so much more pleasant to carry on my shoulder!
    It also makes it more comfortable on the hands in freezing temperatures.
    al

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Take a chain saw for trimming branches that will be impossible to focus otherwise.
    Destructive and illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Destructive and illegal.
    Well, certainly immoral.

One can use a chainsaw to remove fallen trees from forest roads.

Constructive, neighborly, moral, and legal!