Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera

The Intrepid Camera Co.

The Intrepid 4x5 Camera

Firstly, sorry for posting this in the wrong section before, hopefully my incompetence at using a forum is not related to my ability to build cameras!

Hello everyone! just looking to get some thoughts and feedback about a 4x5 camera project we hope to launch on kickstarter next month

Details can be found here ---> www.theintrepidcamera.co.uk

The project has essentially been to develop a compact, light weight folding field camera with reasonable movements and bellows extension for a great price. We have been at this for over a year now and are getting really excited to finally be able to share it with people. the system is very modular and we have lots of additions planned if we manage to get funded.

So if you are interested and have time, please check out the website and blog, please also bear in mind that all pictures are of prototypes so things may well be different on the production model.

Hope you're all well!

Max and Eddie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_inline_n9h1p1uhx81ro4q5k.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	119744

Re: The Intrepid 4x5 Camera

Intrepid is rather a fun name for a camera project - which, however, probably is quite suitable for a new design in 2014!

If you post more photographs of details (the image doesn't enlarge well) we might be able to give "thoughts and feedback".

The Intrepid Camera Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Intrepid is rather a fun name for a camera project - which, however, probably is quite suitable for a new design in 2014!

If you post more photographs of details (the image doesn't enlarge well) we might be able to give "thoughts and feedback".
    Good Point! there are some good images in the blog section of the website but to save people the trouble here are some too

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 23.38.43.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	119772

Name:	IMG_2182.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	119774

Name:	IMG_2176.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	119775

Name:	IMG_2175.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	119776

The body seems rather deep. What is the camera's minimum extension with and without front rise?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The body seems rather deep.
    My thoughts also. I don't see any reason why the back part can't be half as deep as it is.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Sorry, but you are still posting "total views"!

What I would like to see is close up images of fixtures, especially wood/metal joins. I realise this is a prototype and things can't be quite as you had wished it to be - finishwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    My thoughts also. I don't see any reason why the back part can't be half as deep as it is.
    It looks to me that the back is deep so it can accommodate the front upright and bellows inside it when folded. As per the photograph on the website.

If not expensive and not heavy it could be a good introduction to using sheet film. If an 8x10 were to follow and then maybe some a bit larger it could even be a route into LF...

I'd back it on a Kickstarter project!

RR

The Intrepid Camera Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    It looks to me that the back is deep so it can accommodate the front upright and bellows inside it when folded.
    RR
    As rod said, thats the reason for the slightly chunky back, We are however looking into ways of making the bellows thinner to reduce the folded size and therefore the required size of the back.

minimum extension has been a problem due to the size of the back, currently you can use a 90mm lens with aprox 30mm rise, its hard to give exact figures for things like that though as its something we are working on and changes from one design to another.

our goal is for the camera to be able to accommodate a good variety of lenses, and the design is going through changes to make sure that happens. what would people think was a good minimum extension?

this picture better illustrates the back when folded

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	119798

will grab some close up images today and post them shortly, thanks for the interest so far!

90mm with a few mm of movements is probably a good target for minimum extension on a camera like this. If you can make the bellows thinner and still robust and reduce the thickness of the camera back as you stated, you may be able to hit 75 which would be, I think, really exceptional.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

In all honesty, it looks as simple as you can make a folding 4x5 field camera. Instead of cleverly redesigning a classic design, you've ended up making it clunkier and simply less robust.

Do I see correctly that it doesn't fold but needs to be taken apart? Is the rack and pinion made out of wood? How are you going to accept graflok backs with a spring back? How do you think you can price this to be a good alternative to simply buying a cheap 4x5 field camera on the second hand market? Is there a way to keep the front standard flat with the back, i.e. using rise without having to eyeball the tilt that might happen from having those on the same control? How can the rack and pinion move inwards when there's a block keeping it from moving any bit in from it's standard position?

New ideas are always welcome, but I think with half a year more designing you can make twice the camera with exactly the same (Or even less= amount of wood, and just some more time cutting, instead of what honestly seems like a cheap copy of a classic folding 4x5 field camera.

Look at current designs, old designs, prototype over and over. It really does seem more like an early prototype than an actually useful camera. Goodluck nonetheless.