Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The elusive Linhof Technika electronic rangefinder?

Re: The elusive Linhof Technika electronic rangefinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Johnson View Post
    Thank goodness you're policing this so some poor Chinese collector doesn't get ripped off!
    You sound a bit upset about my posts. You're not the seller, are you?

Richard Johnson

I just find it odd devoting energy over somebody else's business. If you can't make a valid claim to eBay that the seller is doing something wrong then shouldn't we mind our own business?

I just find it odd devoting energy over somebody else's business...
    There's another thread active at the moment concerning how easy it is to locate information through Google searches. I found it just as simple to visit the eBay auction listing, use the information provided by Bob when formulating a few questions and submit them to the seller. Hardly any energy was devoted.

...If you can't make a valid claim to eBay that the seller is doing something wrong then shouldn't we mind our own business?
    First, I never claimed, to eBay or anyone here, that the seller was doing anything wrong. Second, this wasn't a FS/Wanted ad on this forum, where the rules prohibit chiming in with negative comments. Third, I submitted those questions directly to the seller, who opted to ignore them and neither answer me directly nor post answers in their listing.

I've been registered at eBay about as long as here. You are free to avoid asking eBay sellers questions about their listings. I am free to ask those questions and discuss them here. If potential buyers are able to increase their knowledge of offered items' characteristics and/or drawbacks by reading this forum, it can only make for more informed purchases. Unless you're the seller and feel that increasing buyer knowledge would hurt your sales price, why would you be upset with my posts or eBay questions?

So anybody know what EMS is an acronym for? Im hoping for some really big german words ie. Entfernungsmesser-Messsystem Sucher... I'll be really disappointed if it is in english ie. Electronic Measuring System...

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    So anybody know what EMS is an acronym for? Im hoping for some really big german words ie. Entfernungsmesser-Messsystem Sucher... I'll be really disappointed if it is in english ie. Electronic Measuring System...
    Electronic measuring system. Unfortunately it never worked properly and was recalled after a year or so. One of the ones that we sold through a dealer in AZ was never returned.
    But the owner has a big problem, it required a dedicated PC running an early version of Windows to program the lenses to the finder as well as a proprietary Linhof program. None of those have been available for decades and the Technika 2000 mechanically could no longer accept the unit after a few years after it was recalled.

Some collect old computers and electronics

Some make a lot of money selling obsolete tools

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Electronic measuring system. Unfortunately it never worked properly and was recalled after a year or so. One of the ones that we sold through a dealer in AZ was never returned.
    But the owner has a big problem, it required a dedicated PC running an early version of Windows to program the lenses to the finder as well as a proprietary Linhof program. None of those have been available for decades and the Technika 2000 mechanically could no longer accept the unit after a few years after it was recalled.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Too bad Linhof's “Large Format System of the Future, where Precision Engineering meets Advanced Electronics” did not pan out.

Bob did you get to play around with one when they were new? Im curious what were your thoughts at the time they were new. It seemed to have generated very high praise and excitement in the press when it first arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Too bad Linhof's “Large Format System of the Future, where Precision Engineering meets Advanced Electronics” did not pan out.

Bob did you get to play around with one when they were new? Im curious what were your thoughts at the time they were new. It seemed to have generated very high praise and excitement in the press when it first arrived.
    I played with it from the day it was announced at Photokina until the day I recalled all the ones sold in the USA. It was an interesting concept but awkward to use. Actually it was invented by a couple of guys that sold the concept to LInhof.
    Biggest problem was getting the software to work to couple the lenses and then it couldn’t focus on things like a picket fence or a herringbone pattern. To mount it to the 2000 there was a small door hidden under the covering on the top front of the body that a receiver fit through that was part of the finder and an IR transmitter that plugged into the holes on the top of the front standard.

Actually had the chance to use one once by a serious Linhof enthusiast. I have to compare it to a Yugo. Looks great at first but in practice is a complete dud.