Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Problems [Kodak Ektar 152mm with Graphic Supermatic X Shutter]

Shutter Problems [Kodak Ektar 152mm with Graphic Supermatic X Shutter]

I have a Graphic Supermatic X shutter on my Kodak Ktar lens that was working fine in all settings except B and T. I have done some CLA work on my previous cameras so I figured that I wanted to give the lens a thorough clean to see if it work fix it.

I spent many hours carefully cleaning the movements in the lens, removed all rust and gunk, and even gently increased tension of the springs. I was happy at first because the B and T settings started responding and though were not perfect, were very usable. Things turn for the bad afterwards because I decided to clean the shutter and managed to spill an extra dose of Denatured Alcohol on them and they immediately started sticking. I left the lens under a lamp for several hours to dry up the alcohol and also cleaned off the excess using qtips and the lens does fire now but it sticks every 10th or so release.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any tips/suggestion that I should try to help with the shutter. Do you think the denatured alcohol in the shutter can cause permanent damage?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Shutter Problems [Kodak Ektar 152mm with Graphic Supermatic X Shutter]

The shutter is possibly still wet inside. It is likely that it is also still dirty. It is certainly not lubricated.

Denatured alcohol actually has a lot of water in it. Not a good choice for cleaning anything that has not been fully disassembled.

Thanks Brian - seems like I have lost this shutter. I tried to remedy the situation and opened the shutters to clean and found it impossible to get the shutter back on properly. It doesn't fire at all anymore

Do you know if I can use this lens with another shutter? If so, how may I go about acquiring one?

you could probably find a replacement in a working shutter at a reasonable price because it isn't a high profile lens
    also, my guess that it's the same supermatic shutter as the Ektar 127mm and, so long as that checks out, you could get one of those and swap over the front plate so the aperture scale is correct... the 127 is quite common on the usual online places

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    you could probably find a replacement in a working shutter at a reasonable price because it isn't a high profile lens
    also, my guess that it's the same supermatic shutter as the Ektar 127mm and, so long as that checks out, you could get one of those and swap over the front plate so the aperture scale is correct... the 127 is quite common on the usual online places
    Thanks Andrew. I did just this and ordered a working replacement with 100mm Kodak Ektar from ebay for $82. I am also looking for a better overall lens under 400 so please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks again.

Someone is selling a 90mm Schneider Symmar Lens f8 for $200 with Copal 0 shutter. Is this a good lens/deal?

fingers crossed... hopefully the lens cells will swap ?
    not sure if the face plate will exchange and if it won't you'll have to work around the aperture scale being incorrect

"under 400" could be almost anything, what do you want to do with it ?

Andrew, I am looking for an all around lens but I mostly shoot portraits and basic landscape. Ideally something with F5.6 or faster.

no easy answer... certainly no one correct answer
    you ought to think roughly what focal length you want to use and then look for options around that
    if you want FASTER than f5.6 plus cheap you might look at tessar types like xenars, ektars, ilex paragons, others
    but the faster lenses are possibly less friendly for landscapes