Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holder hinge tape: options(and pro's/cons)

Holder hinge tape: options(and pro's/cons)

Hey all,

I've been looking over my 25 or so 5x7 film holders, and come to the concensus that the majority of them WILL need to have the hinge tape replaced within the next few years, some will need it immediately. I don't like having "to repair" equipment in my stock of equipment I use(although I've never found I "needed" more than 5-7 holders for a day's shooting, or for an outing. I'm a selective shooter basically !)

Anyhow, I've poured over the various threads of discussion here from past years, and also on APUG. Well, I'm still confused, to be honest.

So, I started looking at options, and user-friendliness/ease of application. These two products were the ones that appeared to be easiest in application and handling during that process. BOTH have backing material on them, to protect the adhesive portion during handling:

1. Demco® Vinyl-coated Cloth Tape with Liner
    Demco Vinyl-Coated Cloth Tape With Liner 2"W x 30 Yds, Black
    Item #: WS13573430
    http://www.demco.com/goto?BLS172843&...05155036583687

2. Filmoplast T
    Item #: FLM-T2
    3.1"W x 33 feet, Black
    http://www.conservationresources.com...ction33_06.htm

I'm not afraid of the prices(even #1), as I have come to the conclusion in life that I don't enjoy "going cheap", because "cheap" usually lives up to its name: unreliable and needing replacement. So I'd like this to be a 10+ yr fix, at minimum. I'm interested in longevity, and maximum quality of materials.

What sayeth the masses? Each roll's width will be much wider than needed, so a roll should last a "lifetime" essentially, or once I'm done I can sell the remaining roll material onwards to someone who needs to perform repairs of their own. We'll see.

Comments are welcome, as well as suggestions for complete removal of previous tape's adhesive residue. Alcohol and a scotch brite pad? I have the time, I just want to do this right the first time, no cutting corners.

thx,
    Dan

Re: Holder hinge tape: options(and pro's/cons)

Filmoplast T is a really nice looking tape, but I don't think the adhesive is aggressive enough to stick on your holder for the long run. I use this tape for matting, and find that the corners regularly lift off. In the past I have used a drop of cyanoacrylate glue to hold it down, which seems to work but it isn't archival or reversible.

I think you take 5 really crappy 4x5 holders and start experimenting. Alcohol removes very little of anything. I use Acetone, very carefully to clean adhesive from glass, and plastic. I use it under my sink vent and let the wipe rags dry under the vent. I keep it off my skin and don't snort it.

Now start trying different tapes. I have heard we should use book binders tape available at Blick, but I have not tried it.

Real men use duct tape. Black duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Real men use duct tape. Black duct tape.
    Tried that early on in my LF days. Lets just say it wasn't pretty after about 1mo...

I would at least try Gaff tape first.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Tried that early on in my LF days. Lets just say it wasn't pretty after about 1mo...

I've used book binding tape and contact adhesive, seems to work fine

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I would at least try Gaff tape first.
    Done that too, it's too messy and gets really nasty after about 1yr(I bought some "repaired" holders that the prior owner had used gaffers tape on). No bueno señor!

Actually it sounds like you already know what to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Actually it sounds like you already know what to use.
    Randy, I'm not looking to come off as a know-it-all, but I've literally read about 15-20 different threads here and over on A**g about this issue yesterday and today. I'm a bit frustrated, as I HATE doing things over. I've learned to do my homework, and do it right the first time. I'm no longer into 5min fixes, especially if it's about my equipment.

Not trying to come over as snide and/or unappreciative in my above replies. I very much appreciate and value the magnitude of experience and expertise on this forum, hence why I only posted this query here. I thought my OP would have let people know I'm not looking to use electrical, duct or gaffers tape. Bookbinders tape seems to be the best, longterm option, and closest to the original tape used for the hinges. Since Fidelity/Lisco is now out of business, and Calumet is a mere shadow of its former self, I turned here first. I'm just asking for opinions on which tape people have found to be the best, and if that might include either of the two products I listed in my first post, then cool. If not, fire away if there's a really good alternative

-Dan