Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheap generic flash kits

Re: cheap generic flash kits

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    You are correct, this is from the website, here.

I now remember, PCB has gotten a lot of flack for his policies, but I understand his explanation. It's his business.

Please read his entire statement as there are ways and a logic to his policies.
    This is not directly related to the thread, but after reading the entire statement, there is only one thing there that makes sense, which is not having service centers outside of the US, making service less accessible.

All the other stuff about shipping costs, duties and credit fraud are total BS. The US has the highest rate of credit fraught in the world (50% of all fraud is in the US, but only 25% of all credit card transactions are in the US), shipping cost going out of the US are some of the cheapest in the world comparatively, and the fact the US has one of the lowest tax, import duties and collection rates in the world, but more importantly, sellers are not obligated to include sales tax in the list price of items, does not mean there are no taxes, and so the fact taxes per transaction ARE infact collected elsewhere is and should not be their concern...

I guess they just never graduated to the internet age... But good to know they are still in business.

Can only tell about what I've tried. I had a nice 800WS Dynalite kit, three heads on one power supply, at one point, and it was fine, but now I've been using a much cheaper Interfit 300WS 3-monolight set for the last 10 years or so, and it's just as fine, maybe even better. The only one that has had a problem is the one that died when I tipped over the stand one day and it crashed to the floor. It was declared dead, not fixable, but the repair service sold me a refurbished newer model for dirt cheap to replace it.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to get heads with a standard reflector fitting, so you aren't tied to some off brand accessories. My particular Interfit uses Bowens attachments, but others in the family don't.

As lenser says, you can always power down, but you can't power up if it isn't there. I bought more light than I really needed for my specific situation, which is unchanging and tight, but it was a good thing to do.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

yup..one 750 and two 250's will about cover it for a start

thing I love about them is they are continuously variable.. and are built like a tank

^^ Calumet / Bowens mono lights

retrogrouchy

If you're talking about the Chinese eBay flashes and all their rebranded copies, don't go there. I lost about $800 because I bought a couple and they blew up when plugged in. They refused to refund and eBay sided with the vendor.

Much better value IMHO in used high quality flashes, I now have a couple of Bowens monolights.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    If you're talking about the Chinese eBay flashes and all their rebranded copies, don't go there. I lost about $800 because I bought a couple and they blew up when plugged in. They refused to refund and eBay sided with the vendor.

Much better value IMHO in used high quality flashes, I now have a couple of Bowens monolights.
    I've been buying locally as well, older sets for $100 or less. Currently running an 800W/S Ascorlight set and a pair of Bowens monolights. Both working great, the Ascor has more power than I can use.

I looked at the Chinese stuff before buying them, and there was every expectation that a 30 year-old Ascorlight set would still last longer than the brand new cheap junk I could buy off fleabay.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    This is not directly related to the thread, but after reading the entire statement, there is only one thing there that makes sense, which is not having service centers outside of the US, making service less accessible.

All the other stuff about shipping costs, duties and credit fraud are total BS. The US has the highest rate of credit fraught in the world (50% of all fraud is in the US, but only 25% of all credit card transactions are in the US), shipping cost going out of the US are some of the cheapest in the world comparatively, and the fact the US has one of the lowest tax, import duties and collection rates in the world, but more importantly, sellers are not obligated to include sales tax in the list price of items, does not mean there are no taxes, and so the fact taxes per transaction ARE infact collected elsewhere is and should not be their concern...

I guess they just never graduated to the internet age... But good to know they are still in business.
    Yeah, Taxes are'nt a concern unless the recipient balks when his stuff hits local custom. If shipping is inexpensive from the US that doesn't make it inexpensive, does it?

Since Buff sell only factory direct his experience with CC fraud may be different than the norm. The greatest majority of customers will use CC and Buff doesn't have to worry about bad checks or screwing around with purchase order and collections.

It's HIS business.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post

I would disagree. First, CC fraud is so much higher here than in Europe because, in part, we rely on ancient mag stripe technology rather than imbedded chip. But the chip is a moot point when doing phone or online sales. As difficult as it is to prosecute domestic fraud, it's much harder internationally. Buff also says that to comply with the various European taxes and regulations, he would have to have a European dealer or distributor. Assuming this is correct (I can't personally say one way or the other), I see his point about margins and markups.

As far a graduating to the internet age, Buff had a online presence with actual, usable content (detailed specs, manuals, parts and support, ordering) going back many years. Probably years before his competitors had similar content.

I have clients here in California that have tried selling "overseas" and have found it very trying. Statistics are one thing, but the fraud that was charged back to the merchant's credit card account, for transactions outside the U.S., Canada & Mexico, was very high. It's possible that the banks eat more of the domestic fraud. Dealing with the VAT in Asia is an entirely different ballgame. For one client, I was flat out told (maybe there's a cultural translation problem here, but others have had the same experience) to make something up to avoid the VAT. Some countries are like California: they are looking for any excuse to bring a business into the country's "tax arms..." :-)

I've seen the business side of this, and I fully understand Buff's position. Small businesses are at a big disadvantage in the international business arena.

The only exception I've seen to this is a Chinese California CPA... been here for years... who has a number of Japanese and Chinese friends and clients, some are US citizens, some live in their home country. He knows how to work his contacts with great results. He also understands both the U.S. and Asian business cultures.