Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye

Michael Alpert

Goodbye

I have decided to leave the forum, and I have asked the forum moderator to cancel my registration. When I joined this forum in the late 1990s, and then when I rejoined in 2006 (after the forum's Photonet excursion), the forum's membership included many people who had long experience in large format photography and who were very helpful to people just entering the field. Some of these photographers are still here, but many have left. I find that I do not relate well to the newer contributors who seem to be here Every Day and who have opinions about Everything. But, on the way out, I do not want to denigrate anyone. Different people have different needs. I've changed during the last decade and so has this forum. I feel that the forum is no longer a good fit for me, so I am leaving. I wish everyone well. May your best photograph be the one that is still ahead.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Re: Goodbye

Good luck!

I find it is god to stay in touch to keep up with current events.

thanks Michael

some members have of course died since 2006 but there are plenty decent folk still on here who freely dispense advice to help new members etc etc, online forums move on in different ways

regards, andrew

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Sounds like a good decision for you. Similar thing happened to me on another forum, so I simply stopped visiting and participating. Never thought of cancelling my subscription, or taking back my posts, or making a grand farewell statement. Good luck to you. Hope you consider coming back if your needs change.

Forums change over the years just like everything else; it is a fact of life.

I miss the old days as well. Sadly, I agree that the forum has changed for the worse.

Good luck Michael, your participation will be missed, and updated forum software that limits one to, say, 3 per posts per day (and 14 posts per week) might help return discussions here to their Golden Age, or at least the Silver one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Good luck Michael, your participation will be missed, and updated forum software that limits one to, say, 3 per posts per day (and 14 posts per week) might help return discussions here to their Golden Age, or at least the Silver one.
    this is a good point, have to say, although I've been posting more during this month than I usually do, say per average month, looking at when I joined, it's averaging 1-2 per week - actually I've found it a more relaxing Forum this year with those that are currently posting

btw, Ole seems to be very quiet these days, hope he's well since he was a significant contributor on here

andrew

I have to agree with the "every day" and "opinions on everything". One member in particular has made it so I visit less often and I avoid posts that they've participated in (read: a lot). I still come to learn as much as possible and keep up with others.

Best wishes to you and I hope when you return again this will be again an even better place.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

As a moderator I can't use the "ignore" feature, but I would if I could.

I encourage members to use it, to tune out whatever and whoever you deem to be... noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    As a moderator I can't use the "ignore" feature, but I would if I could.

I encourage members to use it, to tune out whatever and whoever you deem to be... noise.
    Yes....one advantage to NOT being a moderator.

Michael, best wishes on all you do. I learned a lot from you!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"