Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A footwear thread for landscapers (running shoes vs. hiking boots?)

Re: A footwear thread for landscapers (running shoes vs. hiking boots?)

I should add that if anyone wears leather hiking boots, your preferences about water proofing are also welcome.

And paging Vaughn to the footwear thread – if you're reading this, I hope you re-post the photo of you in Fern Canyon (post #24 in the "Looks like AA" lounge thread) and tell us more about those black shoes.

Pretty fancy!

Drew Wiley

I have messed up feet so I always wear boots with good ankle support everywhere. I see people running trails in glorified tennis shoes and even glorified flipflops,
    and once knew an old Monache who reminisced about crossing Paiute Pass barefoot as a kid to trade obsidian. Not for me. True leather mtn boots, always. Wouldn't
    be alive today otherwise. But even just scrambling up a loose steep slope above the beach on a Saturday afternoon, it would be easy enough to sprain an ankle
    in poor footwear.

Dave Karp

Hiking boots. Always.

Gotten so used to the ankle support, I'm uncomfortable in low shoes.
    So! Rockport hikers sometimes with gaiters, don't like traipsing through the weeds & gathering sticky things etc.
    Cooler weather deserves good ol' fashioned combat boots. :

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I should add that if anyone wears leather hiking boots, your preferences about water proofing are also welcome.
    Paste wax (bee seal, sno-seal, or nikwax paste wax) are the old standards. Lately, emulsified products like Nikwax aqueous wax have become the preferred choice, because bees wax can sometimes make it difficult or impossible to re-sole the shoe. This is only true for lightweight hiking boots with glued soles. If you're talking about old-school Norwegian-welt stompers, it won't make a difference. But there's little reason besides nostalgia for that kind of boot anymore. In their day they made sense for use with crampons; today there are choices that perform better at half the weight.

All my mountain shoes are synthetic now. I've got trail runners (montrail), stiffer approach shoes (5.10 ... usually for when carrying a pack or when the terrain gets more technical), summer alpine boots and winter alpine boots (both la sportiva). The only leather is in the ankle section of the winter boots. These things are used only for ice climbing. Too stiff to walk in very far.

Low cut hiking shoes. I just replaced a worn out pair of La Sportiva something-or-others with a pair of Keen Marshall's. I always check the reviews to make use the model is judged satisfactory for carrying a relatively light pack, since trail runners and some low hiking shoes don't have enough support for a pack, and the whole point is to be able to carry my 4x5 equipment. Personally I don't feel comfortable in my running shoes when I'm carrying the pack. On the other hand, my leather high hiking boots are overkill unless I'm really on mountain terrain.

I've been wearing these as of late, no socks. Dirty/dusty feet at the end of a day's hiking, but they let my feet be exactly that: my feet
    I really like them, although I find that if wearing them regularly, they will stink after awhile. Some simple green and scrub brush gets that sorted out. Usually a 10-15min chore in the bath tub, approx 1x/month. I just air/sun dry them after washing. I'm almost through my 1st pair, which have lasted me approx 2yrs of ~150-200 days of wear per year during that time, including off-road hiking, on-road walking, and everyday wear. No problems thus far, and quite comfortable.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/pr...earwater%20cnx

However, if doing heavier duty "hiking" with noticeable elevation and or terrain challenges with any load on me, I'd feel much better wearing my Danner 5" boots, which provide ankle support. Especially if I'm venturing into snake territory, then I'll also wear long pants and snake gaiters if walking through brush or scrub.

-Dan

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Had to get new work boots back in January. I love New Balance sneakers so googled New Balance work boots. What comes up is actually a combat boot. In 6" and 8" ankle lengths. The reviews from active duty SF were very good so I bought a pair. They feel so good I want to wear them all the time. Great traction and support, light weight and comfortable.

So if you like wearing sneakers but need a boot I can recommend these. If you like a hiking boot I can recommend these.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

2 Bit Hack

It has been a long time. Hiking boots are not made like they use to be. Or perhaps I am just not looking in the right places anymore. Bought a pair of Highteck lightweight boots a few years ago. The soles were glued not stitched. Yes, they separated. But If I could stand to break in another pair, something like the old Fabiano boots, high cut. Water proofed with Sno-Seal.
    Regards

Marty

Can be anything from Tevas to trailrunning shoes to medium-weight hikers to leather workboots (Redwings). Depends on the terrain and distance.

The black shoes are just trail-runners (aggressive tread, heavier build than regular runners). They were close-outs from REI. Lots of time they'll have some 14's on sale! Actually I usually wear my Tevas in Fern Canyon due to walking in the water all the time, but I went with my boys and wanted to be able to keep up with them and do a little off-trail walking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaughn_FernCanyon.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China