Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in Selling used Equipment

Help in Selling used Equipment

Here is a quick question... I am trying to sell a lot of used equipment over the next month.. I do not have the time to sort it out , I am in the middle of a major move .. Are there services in the ebay,craiglist community in local areas that will sell stuff for me??

Re: Help in Selling used Equipment

There are eBay consignment shops all over the place...but don't expect a good sale price. Most listings I see from those folks are basically "here's the item, I don't know anything about it, sold as-is." Of course the price is correspondingly low.

You may be able to find someone though. I occasionally sell stuff for friends on eBay, and take 10-15% of the net sale price after fees/shipping. It's usually camera, audio, or other gear I am knowledgeable about, so I can test/verify and post to eBay accordingly.

Is it camera/photography gear?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Frames, Darkroom Enlargers, lenses for enlarging , easals , basically a lot of photo gear. But lots of small odds and ends

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Here is a quick question... I am trying to sell a lot of used equipment over the next month.. I do not have the time to sort it out , I am in the middle of a major move .. Are there services in the ebay,craiglist community in local areas that will sell stuff for me??
    Make time! Or lose money...

RR

Not really an option, as my regular time with printing outstrips whaterver % I could make spending time on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Make time! Or lose money...

RR

I think the method with the least amount of work (and profit) would be a couple of good, clear pictures of the lot, and put it on Craigslist. In the text, put the rough list, "bunch of developing stuff...." if you have to be vague. Put prices on the lots, or parts, and just keep bumping the ad every couple weeks. It may take a year, but you'll sell some of it.

The second best would be to chunk items into lots, and put them on ebay with a good pic, and description "Enlarging lenses". The big items, make it "no shipping, must pick up locally." Again, it's a pain, and you have to do more work, for more money.

Another method would be a yardsale, posted on craigslist as "Film Photography Vintage Equipment." Put a rough list, with a picture taken of everything spread out the day before the sale. If you build it, they will come. If you price everything cheap, they will buy.

Personally, I'd almost give this stuff away. I had a guy call me last night from Texas, saying "I hear you buy and sell cameras, can you advise me?" I asked what he had, it was low end 35mm SLRs from the 70s. I told him they weren't worth anything, to put them in the trash, or donate to a thrift store or camera shop. He kept wanting me to take them, and said he'd give them to me if I paid shipping. I said I didn't want them, don't use them, and then would be stuck with them too..... He was shocked his hundreds of 1970s dollars of Konica and Yashica and Vivitar were worth pennys now....

Darkroom enlargers and other big things that can't be shipped easily are a tough sell.

Do you have a decent art school nearby? Donate it for a tax write-off.

You should be able to sell the enlarging lenses easily here though.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

KEH buys stuff. You may not like their prices but they do buy stuff and pay off quickly. I have never sold them darkroom stuff but you could try.

I've done many a craigslist buy where I go for one thing and end up coming home with much much more. It's sort of like the pickers tv show where they go visit someone, buy something, and then talk about what else they have and get a bunch of other nice surprises too. Put it out there. someone might need a bunch of stuff.

Depending on what and how much you have, you may want to talk to the fine people at Midwest Photo in Ohio. They will buy estates, etc.

Other than that, find someone local who knows photography gear, etc. and pay them 15% or so to maximize the sale value through Ebay and other sources.

---Michael