Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    I'm fine about traveling with film on the plane, not an issue for me. My nieces and nephews (who will be there) have had no experience with large format film, so it would be very cool to show them up close the results.

I could bring chemistry of course, it just adds a layer of complexity I hoped to avoid, and I probably won't do it.
    I might shoot some B/W, but the color there is dazzling.
    Why not just bring a couple of processed chromes or negs with you to show them?

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    So long as you aren't shooting any high speed sheet film (?), I would just pack it all back home with you, let it go through the carry-on scanner, and process it at home or the lab of your choice.
    Not to steal this thread, but I haven't flown with film in the last 10 years-doing my commercial work in digital. In BW I shoot exclusively Tri-X. Do most folks just put it through the x-ray, or request a hand search, or what? I can't imagine TSA not wanting to look inside all those Kodak yellow boxes! Suggestions? I'm TSA Pre Check on most flights if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Not to steal this thread, but I haven't flown with film in the last 10 years-doing my commercial work in digital. In BW I shoot exclusively Tri-X. Do most folks just put it through the x-ray, or request a hand search, or what? I can't imagine TSA not wanting to look inside all those Kodak yellow boxes! Suggestions? I'm TSA Pre Check on most flights if that makes a difference. Thanks!
    Hand search for any films. TSA is okay with it.

Why not check with Kaimuki Camera in Honolulu and ask them if there is anyone? 808 735-5955.

"I'm TSA Pre Check on most flights if that makes a difference."

Me too! Makes a big difference, At EWR Terminal A, which does not have a TSA Pre line (C does) they give you a card when the scanner beeps the 3 times that puts you in an expedited line, not like the Pre though.

I was an early Clear Card member and thought that that was pretty good. But nothing like this TSA Pre though.

Worth a try I suppose, but Oahu is not Maui, and you'd at least be looking at mail delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Why not check with Kaimuki Camera in Honolulu and ask them if there is anyone? 808 735-5955.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What about using Fujifilm FP100C?
    Not possible as I don't have a back nor FP100C45. Now if NEW55 was available...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    There are three labs in Honolulu. One is fairly expensive, mainly for tourists. The other two have kind of a long turnaround time (one does a batch every two weeks, and the other may outsource, because they also say something like 10-14 days on E-6 when I last checked). On the other hand, these are small operations, so you can call them and ask when their next E-6 run will be, or if you have enough film, maybe they can do a special run, and maybe it will work out for you.

The only shop stocking film in the islands as far as I know, including medium format, some 4x5", and instant film, is Treehouse-- http://treehouse-shop.com/

They also serve as a free dropoff point for all three labs, and they list them on their website if you want to deal with them directly-- http://treehouse-shop.com/merch/film...lm-processing/

Treehouse started as kind of a Lomography and crafts shop, and now they're the supplier for local university darkroom courses and they host a quarterly swap meet and small gallery shows.

Shipping E-6 chemicals to Hawai'i has gotten to be too costly for individual use due to low demand and hazmat charges. I've taken to shipping E-6 film to The Icon in LA-- https://online.iconla.com/efilm/
    Quality has been good thus far, turnaround time as fast as it can be by mail, and the e-commerce setup is convenient to use.

Powdered C-41 kits are available locally.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 30-Jul-2014 at 14:24. Reason: Corrected misninformation about Kaimuki Camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Worth a try I suppose, but Oahu is not Maui, and you'd at least be looking at mail delays.
    I am not saying that you should use them, they are a camera store, not a lab. I am saying that you should call and ask them who might process film on Maui.
    If there is anyone they would know.

From what I hear, as late as today, from photographers on HI that they send their film to LA for processing. But you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    They closed a year or two ago. There are three labs in Honolulu. One is fairly expensive, mainly for tourists. The other two have kind of a long turnaround time (one does a batch every two weeks, and the other may outsource, because they also say something like 10-14 days). On the other hand, these are small operations, so you can call them and ask when their next E-6 run will be, or if you have enough film, maybe they can do a special run, and maybe it will work out for you.

The only shop stocking film in the islands as far as I know, including medium format, some 4x5", and instant film, is Treehouse-- http://treehouse-shop.com/

They also serve as a free dropoff point for all three labs, and they list them on their website if you want to deal with them directly-- http://treehouse-shop.com/merch/film...lm-processing/

Treehouse started as kind of a Lomography and crafts shop, and now they're the supplier for local university darkroom courses and they host a quarterly swap meet.

Shipping E-6 chemicals to Hawai'i has gotten to be too costly for individual use due to low demand and hazmat charges. I've taken to shipping E-6 film to The Icon in LA-- https://online.iconla.com/efilm/
    Quality has been good thus far, turnaround time as fast as it can be by mail, and the e-commerce setup is convenient to use.

Powdered C-41 kits are available locally.
    I'm told that Lighthouse still sells film.

Are you sure that they closed? They bought a lot of flash brackets a year or so ago from us.