Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    West Linn, south of Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    304

    No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    If there is a thread or sticky where this belongs, please feel free to move it.

    I'm going to be visiting there soon and made a couple of phone calls in advance. According to Tony who ran a B/W lab on the island there is no E-6 or B/W processing on the island - he sends his own film to the mainland. There is some C-41 35mm on the island, but no sheet film processing at all.

    I'm midway into a project and was hoping to find a local lab. I'm not thrilled with the idea of packing a lab on vacation.

    If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear it.

  2. #2
    Daniel Stone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Posts
    2,104

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    Do you have to see your shots while traveling? If not, why not save it until you return home(Oregon?) and get it processed locally, or send it out?

    Rochelle(owner/operator) @ Data-Chrome in Santa Ana, CA does a fantastic job of E-6 processing, and her turnaround is lightning fast! Sometimes same-day(in, processed, then back out)!

    http://www.data-chrome.com/

    -Dan

    [edit] If you have reservations about x-ray damage, I still do myself TBH, and try and request a hand-check from TSA. However, upon a recent trip to Australia, I had no choice @ the Sydney airport or Fiji, and I haven't seen any ill effects that I could attribute to x-ray damage.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    515

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    I am not surprised, the Fuji machines I used while working in a lab could only handle up to medium format film.

    In British Columbia, Canada there are only 2 or 3 labs that can process E-6 film. Which is 2 or 3 more labs than the next 2 provinces have. I don't know if any of them can handle any LF film.

    My suggestion would be shoot as much b&w as possible, then develop it yourself. A Paterson 3 roll developing tank can hold 2 sheets at once easily, and the chemistry is most likely available somewhere there.

    Then mail any c-41 or e-6 film to a trusted lab before you leave.
    I don't know if I would trust any of my film on an airliner. I have nightmares of the security pulling all my film from the holders wondering what it is, or turning up the x-ray until it's all ruined.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    West Linn, south of Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    304

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    I'm fine about traveling with film on the plane, not an issue for me. My nieces and nephews (who will be there) have had no experience with large format film, so it would be very cool to show them up close the results.

    I could bring chemistry of course, it just adds a layer of complexity I hoped to avoid, and I probably won't do it.
    I might shoot some B/W, but the color there is dazzling.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,416

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    I'm fine about traveling with film on the plane, not an issue for me. My nieces and nephews (who will be there) have had no experience with large format film, so it would be very cool to show them up close the results.

    I could bring chemistry of course, it just adds a layer of complexity I hoped to avoid, and I probably won't do it.
    I might shoot some B/W, but the color there is dazzling.
    Why not just bring a couple of processed chromes or negs with you to show them?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    515

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    In my honest opinion your better of bringing your film to a lab you know and trust.

    The lab I worked at only changed their chemistry twice in the 3 years I worked there, and the second time was because they were forced to completely service their machine. I doubt that he was the only shop that negligent around. Most places don't seem to care about their film shooters now.

    Needless to say, I either saved up my film or sent it to another shop when I needed something developed quickly.

    My former boss didn't believe me when I told him that some places change their chemistry daily.

    Although the pay sucked while working in the lab, and I didn't agree with how often my former boss changed chemistry in any machine. It's one job that I am grateful to have had.
    It taught me more about this industry than I would have learned in a lifetime otherwise.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,416

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Artist View Post
    In my honest opinion your better of bringing your film to a lab you know and trust.

    The lab I worked at only changed their chemistry twice in the 3 years I worked there, and the second time was because they were forced to completely service their machine. I doubt that he was the only shop that negligent around. Most places don't seem to care about their film shooters now.

    Needless to say, I either saved up my film or sent it to another shop when I needed something developed quickly.

    My former boss didn't believe me when I told him that some places change their chemistry daily.

    Although the pay sucked while working in the lab, and I didn't agree with how often my former boss changed chemistry in any machine. It's one job that I am grateful to have had.
    It taught me more about this industry than I would have learned in a lifetime otherwise.
    why would they change chemistry daily rather then replenish at the proper time?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    515

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    why would they change chemistry daily rather then replenish at the proper time?
    In this case they didn't replenish the chemistry, until the results were far from desirable. The sad thing is I saw worst from Walmart, and 2 other chain stores come in and although I did my best to improve peoples photos I still couldn't come up with results I was happy with. It should be noted, I may be more fussy than the average person, which is possibly what brought me to the world of Large Format.

    Although I don't really expect a lab to replace their chemistry daily, I don't want them to pretty much ruin my film either.
    The one I plan on using when I send my colour work off does and I am certian that I will see the difference. He works in the motion picture industry, and develops film on the side, so I imagine he wants the best results possible.

    Oh, the one chain I have never seen bad results from is Costco. However I do not believe that Costco Canada develops any film now.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    north of the 49th
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    maybe paper negs for illustrating wonders of LF photography ? they can watch the developing process as well and have that 'aha' moment as well.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    West Linn, south of Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    304

    Re: No lab that can handle sheet film on Maui

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    maybe paper negs for illustrating wonders of LF photography ? they can watch the developing process as well and have that 'aha' moment as well.
    This is a great idea, and I have some Harman Direct Positive, too. All I would really need is some paper developer and some fix, correct? (water stop). And since the paper is so slow it could even be developed in the shade, albeit not perfectly.

    Thoughts?

Similar Threads

  1. Honeymoon in Maui
    By christian.rudman in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2014, 08:28
  2. Looking for a quarter turn lever handle similar to the Ebony swing movement handle
    By newmoon2night in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2010, 14:17
  3. Hana Maui
    By Drew Wiley in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9-Feb-2010, 03:22
  4. Photographing Maui-Recommendations?
    By Jon Paul in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2004, 21:19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •