Crap! Now I must move!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Looking at this as a pessimist.

http://www.money-rates.com/research-...or-retirement/

Sandy
    Regards

Marty

Re: Best Places to Retire to for LF

Illinois, #5, but has LESS seniors, that's a plus for me. My Cook county property taxes will freeze in 16 months, BUT they will increase in 2 months. If I told anyone what my property tax is NOW, they would think I LIE. I am hoping the increase is not too crazy...

Location is important, not only weather. Potential images are everywhere, not just where AA shot.

I prefer to be surrounded by youth. I almost feel young as long as I avoid mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    All the cool kids retired in Carmel, CA.
    The well off cool kids that is.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Looking at this as a pessimist.

http://www.money-rates.com/research-...or-retirement/

Sandy

Sandy, just wait a day or two and MSN will come up with a fresh list....contradicting everything....including their previous findings.

John, I do recall bumping around Carmel in the mid 1990's (my work took me there) and having some time on my hands I checked out whole bunch of store fronts, including Friends of Photography. But, the real estate prices ($600K++++++) pretty much woke me up. Hmmm, I'm starting to think that today Carmel is part of the 17mile drive.

Les

In the UK its the Lake District for me.
    However my mate recons the best place to retire too is a great big city.... Super transport after the rush hour, lots to do each day (including photo gallaries) and also great healthcare facilities as your body slowly gives up. Just buy a small pad so you can travel far and wide snapping interesting parts of the world...enjoy it when it comes...!!
    'Life is tough, but its tougher when you're stupid' John Wayne

+1

Off hours a big city is easy and has the best healthcare.

And so many things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by arca andy View Post
    In the UK its the Lake District for me.
    However my mate recons the best place to retire too is a great big city.... Super transport after the rush hour, lots to do each day (including photo gallaries) and also great healthcare facilities as your body slowly gives up. Just buy a small pad so you can travel far and wide snapping interesting parts of the world...enjoy it when it comes...!!
    Tin Can

I'm living in Micronesia. You can get a good 3 bedroom house away from everyone for between $300-400US. Fresh tropical fruits hanging from the trees outside. But we have a typhoon coming in today...........
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

"Land, sea and sky" means generally within 50 miles of a sea coast.

Why not look at Hawaii? Snow to surf close by.

Having just moved back to Port Townsend, Washington, I recommend it as the ideal place for a photographer bent on retirement. There are several reasons: The water comes out of the tap at 66 degrees in August, and it is easy to heat water a couple of degrees. PT’s water comes from snowpack from the basaltic Olympic Mountains, and the reservoir is at the base of the mountains, so it is pure enough to require little purification or other treatments before heading to the tap. While the western edge of the Olympic Peninsula gets about 200 inches of rain a year, PT is in the rain shadow of the Olympics, and gets an average of only 18 inches of rain per year. Yes, there are lots of cloudy days during the winter, but summers are clear and dry. We also whine should the temperature get over 80—which is why air conditioners are not a necessity. In my previous basement darkroom, I kept the heater on and set to 68 degrees year round. Jugs of water in the sink meant I could walk into the darkroom at any time and the water and chemicals were at the right temperature. Because the town is almost surrounded by water, the standard morning low temperature in the winter is 40 degrees, but you have to expect about 3 days per winter of below-freezing temperatures. In summer, you can see Mt. Rainier 105 miles away. The Olympic Mountains, the Olympic National Forest, and Olympic National Park are within an hour’s drive to the west, but you have to take the ferry across Puget Sound if you want to visit the Cascades. There are no big-box stores in town, and the downtown is a “Victorian Seaport” with almost all buildings dating to the 1880’s. The town is full of Victorian architecture, and the massive concrete gun positions of Fort Worden State Park are quite photogenic. There are boats, ships, and Washington State Ferries to photograph. If you are after things exotic, do a Google search on the town’s Kinetic Skulpture Race—with its parade, Rose Hips Kween, human-powered vehicles, and Kinetic Kops. There are whales and Orcas. This is a tourist destination, so there are scads of good restaurants, and several of the art galleries regularly show photographs. And if you run out of things to photograph in town and surrounding area, a pleasant ferry ride across Puget Sound will take you to the gateway to the rest of the West. Finally, the OP’s comment totally applies to Port Townsend: “land, sea, and skies.” And I should add, I like it here!

Why retire?

David Michael Bigeleisen