Thread: Unknown photographer

Unknown photographer

I've found two photographs that I need information about. One is a picture of HALF DOME in YOSEMITE, the other is a meadow scene apparently also in the SIERRA NEVADA'S. The only information that I have is the meadow scene was apparently sold at a stationery shop in New Rochelle, N.Y. that is no longer in business. The only reference that I have for a possible date is a newspaper advertisement mentioning the stationer July 7 1922. The photos could pre date ANSEL ADAMS photo oh HALF DOME. Does anyone know a photographic historian who could date the pictures?

Re: Unknown photographer

ANy really good photo-historian should be able to date the images. I don't think they will do so for an individual but historians at The Getty can likely identify the date and the process,probably even the maker of the paper if it is silver gelatin.

The "SIERRA NEVADA'S" what?

A number of commercial photographers worked in Yosemite prior to, during, and after Adams – including Watkins, Muybridge, Fiske, Pilsbury, etc. In fact, photography pre-dated painting in Yosemite, for once, in such iconic landscapes. Unfortunately for you, I may be the closest thing to an unintentional photographic historian in regard to the Sierra, who up until now, posts here regularly, if not in the last 5 minutes. The dates given are so without reference that they could mean anything. Why don't you link to the pictures and state the reasons for your inquiry?

There have been lots of photographers snapping away in Yosemite for a great many years as ROL says, nor was Ansel Adams the first photographer to photograph Half Dome---far from it.
    Tell us more about the photos---are they silver gelatin or some other process? Are they toned? What size format are they? What makes them desirable for you personally? Are they matted and if so, is there a studio stamp on the mat?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Can we see them, please?

I thought this was going to be a thread about a guy who focused on the gg wearing a paper bag over his head LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Yosemite Valley was a popular tourist destination with hotels and all kinds of clutter (more than today in fact ) even before AA was born. So there are thousands
    of potential candidates. Some of the more talented people who photographed there professionally have already been mentioned. There are people who probably
    could identify the work of specific people. Otherwise, if you just want to know the vintage, it's a matter of matching the specific print media to the era in which
    it was in use. Like the others who have already posted, I'd ask, are these silver prints, or something earlier? And it they are contact prints, what is the apparent
    plate size?

No one seems to have read my post correctly. I asked if anyone knew a photo historian. I would like to send the photos to a historian who might be able to date them by the process used. They are sepia toned, but that might be due to not being stored properly.

Drew Wiley

To locate an informed photo historian you at least need to proved a general idea of what you actually have. "Sepia" could mean any number of things. There is a dealer in this town who specializes in vintage Yosemite prints, who I think is still in business, but would really only relate to 19th C work. There are websites which
    describe some of the basic differences between toned silver prints and older things like albumen. If you are able to post visual examples, this might go smoother.

Actually there is a reference library in Yosemite Valley archiving all things dealing with Yosemite history and staffed by a very savvy lady, IIRC, you might try asking there.