Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Cumbria

Wink Hello From Cumbria

Hi all,
    I'd just like to introduce myself, I have been into photography for a long time, I attempted to make it as a professional but I became disillusioned.I hated weddings, baby pics and product shots. (I should have guessed what was going to happen i suppose. ) Anyway I sold my cameras and took up Archery instead (longbow actually). It wasn't until my kids were starting to grow up that I picked up my camera again. An old Minolta 35mm and the old love started to return. it got to the stage where I sold all my archery gear and found my self walking into Jessops in Birmingham to find out if there was a second hand 5x4 camera anywhere in the company. I used to work at Jessops in Birmingham and Carlisle, and was fortunate enough to have owned and borrowed (they were very good to their staff and lent out second hand equipment anytime) loads of large format kit. I was stunned to find however that my hobby had completely disappeared. Gone were the rows and rows of brightly coloured film boxes and rows of chemicals in an assortment of packets. I did see in the corner a small shelf with some things that I recognized, Ilford Multigrade paper and a few white plastic bottles of dev and fix. A Very pretty young girl came up to me and asked if she could help. I asked her where the second hand equipment was and was informed that they did not sell it any more. I was a bit disappointed but still carried on and asked if they had some Ilford FP4 5x4 in. "I'll just check" she said and went off to the fore mentioned shelf. She returned saying "I'm sorry we only have 6x4." She was holding a box of multigrade paper. I explained that it was the stuff that went in the camera that I wanted. A light went on and she said "Oh I'm sorry sir but we don't keep that any more, its all digital now". She indicated the sleek cases filled with exotic lumps of plastic and glass, all designed to reduce the world to pixels. "No film at all?" I asked. "We do have some" she said, and pulled from under a counter an old 8x10 red plastic dev dish with an assortment of 35mm film in it. The once cheerful boxes looked faded and lost.They almost seemed to blink as they were brought out into the light. "Is this what you wanted" asked the girl. I looked at the remains of my hobby lying forlorn in what resembled a Time Team finds tray, and with a mental apology to the film for sending it back into terminal darkness, I said "not really".
    "You should have a look at our website." she said.
    Thrusting a booklet into my hand. "The address is on the back."
    I went back home and using the internet discovered that with a little searching most things could be found. I got into pinhole, progressing to making my own cameras from wood and then eventually selling them on ebay. 5x4 and 8x10 I still use them alongside a De-vere Devon that I acquired. I have since built a 12x16 camera around an old Industar lens. I'll Post pics later if you are interested. I am looking forward to picking up tips and info on photography. paper negs especially.
    Well I think that about covers me and my story I won't bore you any more.

Re: Hello From Cumbria

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I have since built a 12x16 camera around an old Industar lens. I'll Post pics later if you are interested.
    Welcome!

Yes, there are threads devoted to "showing-off" LF cameras, and the unique ones get a lot of attention around here, especially the home-built ones.

If you've shot the 12x16, and can scan the prints, those would be great to see too!

Hi Mark

welcome to this outstanding Forum

do, please, post some photos of your 12 x 16

regards

andrew

Mark, welcome - many of us have a bit of Anglophile hidden somewhere! There is actually a "paper negative" thread in the Image Sharing sub-forum, at the moment it's on page 3, so if you can post some images it will move up in the queue. Other than that, it will be fun to see images both of your ULF camera, and the images you are making with it.

Thanks for the greetings, I would be happy to put some pictures of the camera on the forum, I will have a look for the appropriate page and put a couple on I must warn you that it was made as cheaply as possible so don't be expecting a Linhof or anything. The only photos i have taken are a couple of test images I'll put them on as well.
    I am going to have a look at the paper neg thread and see if I can learn how to use them

Thanks again, Mark.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Anyway I sold my cameras and took up Archery instead (longbow actually).
    I had absolutely no idea there were professional archers needed in this day and age! Did you subcontract from Cupid or what?

Welcome to the forum! Yes, we have a whole section here on paper negatives. They're a great load of fun to play with. I recently did a big test on my holders for light leaks, and wound up with a bunch of interesting views that I wouldn't have had with film.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Hi Mark,
    You live in a great area for photography and I admire anybody who gets out of Brum alive. Trust me, it hasn't improved, English is almost the second (or third) language.
    Welcome.
    Pete.

I had absolutely no idea there were professional archers needed in this day and age! Did you subcontract from Cupid or what?
    LOL HA HA HA There is a grand body of men who can claim that honor Brian. The Royal Company of Archers. They guard the Queen in Scotland. Bet the Taliban are S*"$%^"g themselves. I could not join because I look rubbish in green tights/hoes, more ho ho hoes really. so i stayed strictly amateur. I am not too competent with paper negs I have only made a few, but I will be making more. I have built a holder for the camera, I will have to make a couple more, it's a bit of a pain using just the one.

You live in a great area for photography
    I agree with you totally Pete. That was the main reason for my move. I have The Lakes on one side with The Eden Valley and The Pennines on the other. not to mention The Solway Estuary , and Scotland to the north. I think I am Perfectly placed for a landscape lover.

Didn't David Coulthard race gocarts in Cumbria?

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White