Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Like Alan, the only place I've been hassled is at the local camera store. For years, Steve, one of their sales staff (and a good friend) has been belittling my continued film interest in all formats. He almost fell to his knees when I finally bought a digital Nikon a few years ago, but I constantly give him a taste of his own medicine so he knows where my heart lies. I do my best to come up with the most arcane questions about some of my stranger medium and small format collectables and where to find exotic large format gear just to keep the game going.

I totally agree on being ambassadors. No one is ever fascinated by a Digital Nikon or Canon except another shooter, but bring out the large format and every one from a high school student to a major corporate CEO starts asking questions. Always happy to share with them.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    He suggested that I sell my large format gear and upgrade my D300 to a D800 if I wanted better image quality.
    Speaking as a shooter of both the Nikon D800E and 8x10 film, the detail on the 8x10 wins hands down.

This has been an on-going debate on this forum for years. Folks claim digital is better.
    Of course they're comparing high-end digital with Tri-X pushed to 6400 developed in clorox.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Recently, the devil made me mock a young man for spray-and-pray digital shots of a waterfall.

"Slow down with a film camera," I suggested, "and you might get your shot!"

He sensed I wasn't a mean person, but knew I probably wasn't pulling his leg, either. He didn't reply. Instead, he offered me a supercilious smile. Then he continued at 6 or 10 frames per second. A well-behaved young man, I thought, even if a clueless photographer.

I've never been mocked for using an LF camera, as I mocked him, but if Karma means anything, my comeuppance is long overdue!

To help me prepare for the inevitable, I'd like to hear about your experiences.

If you've ever been mocked for LF – in the field or during a conversation – what did you hear? And if you've been mocked several times, is there a remark that's common? Also, if you've ever "hit back," what did you say? Do you carry ready-made replies in your head? Or is it generally best to ignore any disparaging remarks and continue with your work – or, like an angel who sees everyone in a good light, treat it as a disguised invitation to start a friendly conversation?

Your insights will help us all improve our behavior in the jungle out there.
    I wouldn't condone mocking anyone. What if this young man's photos are better than your photos? Who are you to judge his process and suggest a "better" way. We should judge on results, not process. No??? And what if he was actually shooting a stop motion sequence? I'd say your comments were rude and uncalled for. It appears you were feeling a bit superior because you use a big camera. I'm sure HCB would have a chuckle over that...

I think spray-shooting can be justified in some situations, where the subject is unpredictable.

Take for example the challenge of shooting the interaction between animals.
    If you wait for a good shot, it's already gone before you can trip the shutter.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I'd say your comments were rude and uncalled for.
    But it wasn't me – you missed the part about the devil!

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    For years, Steve, one of their sales staff (and a good friend) has been belittling my continued film interest in all formats.
    I get this too at my local Glazer's here in Seattle.

It's all good clean fun – but I’m certain the attitude is partly due to the desire to meet ambitious sales goals. A sneaky suspicion. In any case, they're still the best film and darkroom salesmen in the nation.

Most of the in-store mocking – if one can call it that – comes from other customers in a good-natured ribbing about my failure to break away from "the old ways" they recall with so much fondness. These fun conversations always tend toward: I really should get back into film every now and then!

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I think spray-shooting can be justified in some situations, where the subject is unpredictable.

- Leigh

or, as in this case, you are trying to freeze droplets from a waterfall. Quite likely this young man was doing something quite reasonable. That smiIe wasn't supercilious, it was "you don't have a clue what you are talking about."

- Leigh
    Yeah, that's what motor drives are for.

I used to shoot a lot of fast pitch softball. When the girls were batting I would hold down the shutter release and capture the ball coming off the bat when they got a hit. The girls and their parents loved those shots!

I've done that on occasion.

The poor folks walk away more confused than when they arrived.

- Leigh
    Back when Polaroid was available anywhere and at a cheap price, I frequently would let someone who showed a little interest set up a shot and take one home. Sometimes, I would take a shot of a couple and give it to them to take home. It was fun and one reason why I liked having Polaroid available at a reasonable price.

I don't much care what others are shooting. I have a D300 and it is really really good for what I do with it which is take pictures of friends and action and movement. I have never thought that I was that good at that sort of photography but the D300 kind of unlocks that for me. Quality wise, it would take a MF digital to be significantly better than this camera. I've always covered up the name plates on my cameras mainly to keep the camera goons away and it is pretty effective. I don't try to disguise my Hassy because it is impossible. I either get the folks that are impressed and stand three steps back (which is fine) or the guys that tell me that their Bozoflex Mark II is just as good as a Hasselblad. If I say anything, it's "That's nice. Mine is a Hasselblad".

If any store personal mocked me for my equipment choice, I'd ask, "Does the manager know you talk to customers this way?" The only thing a brick and mortar store has to sell is their service and courtesy. Everything is available mail order with a telephone call and a credit card. Usually at a cheaper price.

My family mocks me all the time, not just for using large format either.
    Cheers Shane

Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    My family mocks me all the time, not just for using large format either.
    Don't feel lonesome. It comes with marriage and kids!