Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Recently, the devil made me mock a young man for spray-and-pray digital shots of a waterfall.

"Slow down with a film camera," I suggested, "and you might get your shot!"

He sensed I wasn't a mean person, but knew I probably wasn't pulling his leg, either. He didn't reply. Instead, he offered me a supercilious smile. Then he continued at 6 or 10 frames per second. A well-behaved young man, I thought, even if a clueless photographer.

I've never been mocked for using an LF camera, in the same manner that I mocked him, but if Karma means anything, my comeuppance is long overdue!

To help me prepare for the inevitable, I'd like to hear about your experiences.

If you've ever been mocked for LF – in the field or during a conversation – what did you hear? And if you've been mocked several times, is there a remark that's common? Also, if you've ever "hit back," what did you say? Do you carry ready-made replies in your head? Or is it generally best to ignore any disparaging remarks and continue with your work – or, like an angel who sees everyone in a good light, treat it as a disguised invitation to start a friendly conversation?

Your insights will help us all improve our behavior in the jungle out there.

Re: Have you ever been mocked for LF?

Sounds more like you were not mocked for shooting large format, but you definitely mocked him for not shooting film.

One does not have to shoot film to whole down. Yes shooting large format forces you to slow down but it's not a requirement one can shoot just as slow with a digital camera.

Why not offer the young man a chance to look under your dark cloth. Then while explaining the process you can express how it has helped you learn to slow down and think about the image you are making more.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

The vast majority of the unwashed masses have no idea what I'm doing.
    They don't know what a film camera of any type is, much less an 8x10.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Why not offer the young man a chance to look under your dark cloth?
    I admire your generosity!

It reminds me of an evangelical mission, a chance to save the damned.

I wasn't shooting, but even if I had been, I fear the devil would have kept his appointment with me.

Preston Birdwell

Why not offer the young man a chance to look under your dark cloth. Then while explaining the process you can express how it has helped you learn to slow down and think about the image you are making more.
    This approach gets my vote.

Any time we are making photographs with a large format camera, and we have the time to do so, we should be ambassadors to our art and craft.

If someone did mock me for using LF (which has never happened) I would offer to help them to understand my reasoning for making photographs they way I do. It's then up to them whether or not to change their views--I already know what mine are.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Yes,
    Ive been "mocked" by an older fellow, who "gladly went digital" some years ago, and still wonders why I don't "stop f****ing around with film, shoot digital and learn to actually see that film is dead?! I hardly ever see you shoot, and with this expensive equipment you have, why aren't you using it more?"

Anyhow, I just gently smile back and say, "You have your way of getting to the party, and I have mine."

Let's just say he's not usually a very cordial guy. Loves praise from others on his photographs, but is quick to talk down about others work(such as mine). He photographs models a lot, I don't. Different strokes for different folks.

He and I have some "mutual friends", so I see him somewhat regularly, but don't attempt to push buttons or raise questions

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I wasn't shooting
    Well then you DEFINITELY were not mocked for shooting large format.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Why not offer the young man a chance to look under your dark cloth.
    I've done that on occasion.

The poor folks walk away more confused than when they arrived.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

At the local camera shop one of the salesmen told me that he had tried large format years ago and that it was too hard to do and just too much work to get an image. He suggested that I sell my large format gear and upgrade my D300 to a D800 if I wanted better image quality.

I don't know if this counts because he was being a salesman and trying to sell me a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I've done that on occasion.

The poor folks walk away more confused than when they arrived.

- Leigh
    It's not just large format. I took some pictures of my grandson with a Hasselblad and he got pissed at me because I couldn't show him the pictures on the back of the camera.