Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I-40 road trip

I-40 road trip

I'll be driving out to Dallas / Ft Worth next week. I've traveled I-40 between California and Oklahoma/Texas many times but its been at least twenty years since the last time I did it. This time is going to be a very quick blast East...I'm flying back Sunday.

So, anyway, what are the stop worthy sights along I-40?

Re: I-40 road trip

If you have the extra time and can tolerate the inconvenience, I'd travel along roads other than the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways!

I wish I did have the time...but, this will be a quick two day adventure with a couple more days in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area before flying back home.

2 Bit Hack

They planned that interstate highway very strategically. It does not pass close to anything interesting. But I am like you. I have not been on points west of Fort Smith since 1982. The most stressfull trip I ever took was the milk run on a Greyhound between Bakersfield and Ft. Smith.
    Regards

Marty

Preston Birdwell

Palo Duro Canyon is near Amarillo. It's a Texas State Park. I went there many, many years ago when I was stationed at Amarillo AFB. It's a nice place, but likely would be pretty warm this time of year.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

If you want to see good photography sites, drop south to ole Hwy 66 once in California. It won;t slow you up more than 5 mph, and there is a lot to photograph along the way. It is one of my favorite areas.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

how far east are you going? there are lots of nice places right off I40 near Asheville nc, in just a few minutes off 40 you could be on the blue ridge parkway, or around Knoxville you could go through the smokeys that is not far from 40 either. in just a few hours you could get some nice shots.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Palo Duro Canyon is near Amarillo. It's a Texas State Park. I went there many, many years ago when I was stationed at Amarillo AFB. It's a nice place, but likely would be pretty warm this time of year.

--P
    Thanks Preston.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    If you want to see good photography sites, drop south to ole Hwy 66 once in California. It won;t slow you up more than 5 mph, and there is a lot to photograph along the way. It is one of my favorite areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    how far east are you going? there are lots of nice places right off I40 near Asheville nc, in just a few minutes off 40 you could be on the blue ridge parkway, or around Knoxville you could go through the smokeys that is not far from 40 either. in just a few hours you could get some nice shots.
    Guys, thanks but....I'm travelling to Texas from California.

2 Bit Hack

Petrified Forest is east of Holbrook, AZ and south of I-40. There are probably some spots close to the interstate. The Painted Desert is to the north of the interstate at the same spot but it is much more spread out.

There is an off interstate run between the Colorado River and Kingman. The interstate takes a dip south then back north to Kingman. There is a road from Goose Lake to Kingman that looks interesting....I have never been on it.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9563.../data=!3m1!1e3

If you are coming from central or north CA go over 120 or 108 to US 395 and head south. It intersects 58 that runs to Barstow where I-40 begins. US 395 runs the length of Owens Valley. There is much to scenery to photograph.
    Regards

Marty