Thread: Thinking about buying a Jobo ATL 2+

Lightbulb Thinking about buying a Jobo ATL 2+

Hey everyone,

A friend and I are seriously thinking about purchasing a Jobo ATL 2+. I have failed to find much information online about installation of this device and decided to turn here for help. What do I need to install one of these auto-labs? I assume because its automated that it would need a water hook-up. Is this correct? I was also curious if anyone on here had any advice on these machines and what to expect once you have purchased one. I have heard great things about the results these machines can provide but have not found much on maintenance and care or common problems/issues this model has. Enter you.

If you're reading this and think you can help me out - please do! Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Thinking about buying a Jobo ATL 2+

The ATL2p is a great machine, but is nearing the stage where it is getting fairly old, and so spare parts availability is getting to be more of a problem.

You will need one cold and one hot/tempered water outlets, and a proper drain for the machine and chemistry.

The foot print of the machine is quote large so you will need to make sure you have that covered as well (about 19X48 inches).

The machines are fairly reliable, but as automatic machines they have many moving parts, many motors and various electronic boards. Maintenance is no different then other machines, and includes transfer gears and lift lubrication, algae/calcification treatment. normal ware is retaining clips, rollers and bottles. If the machine was well used, chances are you will want all new bottles.

Lift gear rack can fail, resulting in an unusable machine. The part to replace is cheap, but requires a major tear down to get to it.

Does not seem to me to be a good "first Jobo" due to the potential for mechanical or electrical issues. I'd recommend the new model with warranty and support or a less complex used model.

Are the 3000 series Expert drums compatible with ATL processors?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Are the 3000 series Expert drums compatible with ATL processors?
    Yes, with the exception of the ATL1000/1500 (and ATL500/800).

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Does not seem to me to be a good "first Jobo" due to the potential for mechanical or electrical issues. I'd recommend the new model with warranty and support or a less complex used model.
    This is good advice, you might also want to consider a certified/refurbished used machine.

Look for a 3 plus machine.
    Better built.
    Parts still available.
    G

i had atl-2500 for almost decade and it gave me 0 problems. i love it

Quote Originally Posted by Adamphotoman View Post
    Look for a 3 plus machine.
    Better built.
    Parts still available.
    G
    Some parts are.

All the ATL machines are getting on in their years... We have 2 ATL3s sitting in our storage shed for example, mean while we use our CCP2 and CPP3 all the time. Why ? They are full of pumps and seals and stuff that leaks and goes wrong. Unless you are prepared to really get to know and love a processor, and you process so much film that the labour saving is worth it stick with a good used CPP2 or buy a new CPP3