Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gowlandflex- junkyard find

Re: Gowlandflex- junkyard find

Easy to have a machinist make a reducing adapter to fill up the big #5 hole in the front. Glad you got it !
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Nice cam..!

I had an earlier model. If I recall correctly, these were cammed for one lens focal length. This later (than mine)model may have had interchangeable cams. The cam may have to do with parallax correction.

Mine had a 180mm Xenar in shutter for the taking lens and a matching 180mm Xenar in a barrel for the viewing lens. The first model didn't have interchangeable lensboards or cams. Before I would buy it, I'd want to know that the cam and focal length match. I doubt there is any ready source for a replacement cam, and if the cam doesn't match the lens, then there'd be no point in repairing the lens on the camera.

Making a focusing hood really isn't a big deal. I believe most of them were sold without a focusing hood. It would be easy to make a viewing "hood" out of cardboard, but you should have a magnifier to focus. Most of these were sold for studio use. I wouldn't let that issue enter into the decision.

First thing to check is the cam because if it doesn't match the lens, you'll be buying two lenses. If that doesn't set you back, then not a problem. I believe the Gowlandflex used a revolving Graflok back same as used on the Super Graphic. If you want a Gowlandflex, by the time you are done with this one, you MIGHT have as much invested in it as you'd have buying one off the auction site ready to use, and less chance of unanticipated problems.
    --bob.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Peters View Post
    I had an earlier model. If I recall correctly, these were cammed for one lens focal length. This later (than mine)model may have had interchangeable cams. The cam may have to do with parallax correction.

Mine had a 180mm Xenar in shutter for the taking lens and a matching 180mm Xenar in a barrel for the viewing lens. The first model didn't have interchangeable lensboards or cams. Before I would buy it, I'd want to know that the cam and focal length match. I doubt there is any ready source for a replacement cam, and if the cam doesn't match the lens, then there'd be no point in repairing the lens on the camera.

Making a focusing hood really isn't a big deal. I believe most of them were sold without a focusing hood. It would be easy to make a viewing "hood" out of cardboard, but you should have a magnifier to focus. Most of these were sold for studio use. I wouldn't let that issue enter into the decision.

First thing to check is the cam because if it doesn't match the lens, you'll be buying two lenses. If that doesn't set you back, then not a problem. I believe the Gowlandflex used a revolving Graflok back same as used on the Super Graphic. If you want a Gowlandflex, by the time you are done with this one, you MIGHT have as much invested in it as you'd have buying one off the auction site ready to use, and less chance of unanticipated problems.
    --bob.
    Old thread. I bought this camera a little while ago without a lens or lens boards. I have since learned a lot about it and have installed 2 lenses and a viewing hood. In a couple days I will present it on the "LF show off your camera" thread. I will supply all I know know about this one camera. Soon!
    Tin Can

I have posted the revival of this camera.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...07#post1200607
    Tin Can