Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: finding nude models???

finding nude models???

For those of you who have experience with nude photography, what is a good way to find nude models? I am always afraid that the woman will think I am a pervert.
    I know I am not the only person who has at some point had to learn this "skill"

My wife refuses to model so I can't start there.
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Re: finding nude models???

don't you have to have a few images to submit to get "approved"
    ?
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Scott Davis

Well, the best path to starting with a model is to take a class at an art school or university art program's continuing ed service. Then you can have a portfolio to show someone so they can see you're not taking quasi-gynecological photos for your own titillation. Or you might find a local camera club that will hire a model for a group shoot and join in that way. It's not ideal because you have to work around all these other photographers and sometimes your creativity is limited by the setting and/or others' needs, but it's better than nothing. It would also help to have a business card and a website that show your overall degree of professionalism.

Whelp.. back when I was in college..or just out..it was pretty simple..some friend or friend of a friend was or knew a moody art studio co-ed that was into 'the art thing and not ashamed of her body'

then I got married

now..after the divorce, years later, I do find myself in the same situation.. I don't want to be seen as a GWC (guy with a camera)..even though..in reality I am just a GWBC (guy with a big camera) in that I'm not shooting for a magazine or whatever..just my own amusement

I think join Model Mayhem and search for models who will do nude..you will have to pay.. but you need something to show those emo studio art students down the road

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Well, the best path to starting with a model is to take a class at an art school or university art program's continuing ed service. Then you can have a portfolio to show someone so they can see you're not taking quasi-gynecological photos for your own titillation. Or you might find a local camera club that will hire a model for a group shoot and join in that way. It's not ideal because you have to work around all these other photographers and sometimes your creativity is limited by the setting and/or others' needs, but it's better than nothing. It would also help to have a business card and a website that show your overall degree of professionalism.
    Modeling for a camera club was how the famous Bettie Page got started. She worked many times and built up quite a portfolio for herself which helped her get more jobs.

If anyone is interested in Bettie Page, her photos and her life, there is a film on Netflix Online about her life from beginning to end. "Bettie Page Reveals All"

Review:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/be...veals-all-2013

Scott Davis

Another thing about Model Mayhem - I have found it to be helpful in finding models, but I have also found some of the flakiest people on the planet through there. I would NOT recommend it for someone starting out who does not have experience working with models. More MM models have booked a date and time with me to not show up, or just dropped off the face of the earth in the middle of scheduling something than through any other source. The very best way to find models is to have artsy friends who enjoy it. They KNOW you're not perving on them instead of taking pictures.

A good way to gain experience and to acquire a few images is to take a workshop. I took one with Kim Weston in California and it was quite good. (Its main focus was on platinum printing). There should be workshops in GA that you could take without spending a great deal of money.

I have hired quite a few models using Model Mayhem. As discussed above, the site is full of flakes, but it also has many hard working, professional models. You can do a search based on distance from your location and most recent activity. You don't want to waste your time looking at models that haven't visited the site in over a year. You can also post a casting call describing your shoot and compensation for interested models to respond. Read the FAQ section on the site so you can avoid no-nos. I've never had a model flake on a shoot, but I've had a few who did not respond to inquiries.

Scott Davis

Sadly I've had some flake even when cash compensation had been discussed and agreed upon prior to the shoot. And I've also found folks through there who showed up on time, were professional about it, and were willing to work for trade-for-prints. It all depends. I'm just saying it may not be the best venue to START from if you've never shot with a nude model before, or even a clothed model. Another good option would be to find someone in your area who has worked with models and get a reference from them.

http://frankinstan.tumblr.com/

On Frank's site on the right it says ask me anything. Click on that and then ask Frank. He has shot plenty of models from Model Mahem and elsewhere and will give you straight up, practical advice. Just understand that he may post your question and his answer for others to see.