Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: finding nude models???

Re: finding nude models???

I've been shooting primarily nude models for 8 - 9 years and have gotten pretty much all of my models on model mayhem. What everyone has said about flakes is true about the site - reason is that there are a lot of women on the site who aren't really serious about photography work. I think that they just want to tell their friends that they model. However, there are quite a number of models there who are extremely good fine art models who travel around the country on a full time basis. I don't really work with inexperienced models anymore and I normally pay the models work with. The big advantage of paying is that your work that you do is really only for your needs/purpose and you don't have to feel obligated about trying to do things that will also build the models portfolio. It is a good thing to give the models you work with digital copies of at least a couple of the best images you turn out, because it's just good marketing.

Model Mayhem - still the #1 site out there for models and where I recommend you start. However, it will take some time for you to sort through the glamour model wanna be's and the fine art models. I would be happy to give you references for a number of great models on Model Mayhem you might consider working with to start out.

One Model Place - most of the good models I work with have said that they have given up on OMP. I don't have any experience with that site other than to look it up on the internet.

Craigs list - I have only tried that once and it did turn out pretty well. However, remember that Craigs List is not a modelling site and it might be pretty hit and miss there. However, I have read some photographers on Model Mayhem say that they have good success on Craigs List. I just don't think many of the experienced fine art models frequent there for work.

Facebook - I hear more and more stories of good models now with facebook pages and do a lot of their marketing that way. However, I don't have experience with that method (I personally hate Facebook).

Model Society - this is new site that has popped up in the last couple of years and seems dedicated to fine art photographers and models. It doesn't seem to be a place for glamour type of models. You might try this site in addition to Model Mayhem. Many of the models there are also the top fine art models on Model Mayhem.

I strongly recommend that you "hire" an experienced fine art nude model to start with. That is what I did and they were a tremendous advantage when I started. There are some models who it seems are impossible to take a bad photograph of and it's great when you find them. Expect rates to be $50 - $100 per hour depending on where you are located in the country.

One last thing - work shops are good, but if you are 100% serious about wanting to do this type of work, consider heading to Monterey, CA and do a one-on-one with Kim Weston. He is an extremely experienced nude model photographer, is a great teacher, and the stories you will hear on the Weston legacy are worth way more than what the session with him will cost. I did a 2 day over a weekend with him a couple of years ago and I can't recommend anything any better.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on models and/or what it's like to work with nude models. I would be happy to share my experiences.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Model Society - this is new site that has popped up in the last couple of years and seems dedicated to fine art photographers and models.
    I just visited that site for the first time. Lovely models, but a terrible site.

Specifically, there appears to be no way to select the models, other than just leafing through the Gallery.

The first model I looked at is in Brittany (France), and the second is in England.

They really need a function to select models by location and other traits, like the one at ModelMayhem.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

WOW, what a great response and very good info! Thank you.
    For some reason Atlanta has a very poor traditional photography presence! I have frequented many of the metro photo clubs but even the ones with older members who use to shoot film have gone to digital. I shoot digital as well for my website and customer photos but I am just drawn to traditional film and enjoy the process.You would think that a city of 5 million would have more photographic organizations but I have tried for several years and not real luck.
    But I completely understand about being professional and honest. I'm married and to old to be "trolling" for dates! You folks here will understand what many non-photographers may not. We can look at a nude body for the beauty of the form and curves without it being some sexual thing. For me, I find that the poses that are less revealing and so much more beautiful than those that are so suggestive. The is a book "New Erotic Photography" vol. 1, that has a shot on the cover that is so beautiful to my eye.

Again thanks for the suggestions and advice and remembering what it was like when you were trying to get started!!!
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

45-57-617

Why don't the LF members get together and make a portfolio you can all share ! Then you'll all have similar credentials to get you started ... If it were a hardcopy then just post it to each other. Is that a bit communist? :-)

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    Why don't the LF members get together and make a portfolio you can all share ! Then you'll all have similar credentials to get you started ... If it were a hardcopy then just post it to each other. Is that a bit communist? :-)
    Several problems with that noble idea. One: the portfolio would not be representative of your own work exclusively, and therefore misleading to the model. What if someone contributes something to the book that while excellent, is edgy to the point of making your model uncomfortable? S/he now thinks you want him/her to do that same thing, and refuses to work with you. Or what if the work is just not up to the standard you want to represent as your own? Would you want to show a fine-art model some cheesy softcore when your work is more like Weston's? you'd be tarnished with guilt-by-association. Two: someone would have to be the volunteer coordinator to solicit, edit and produce said portfolio book. Trying to organize photographers makes herding cats look easy. Producing that book would require full-time work at a volunteer's salary.

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    Why don't the LF members get together and make a portfolio you can all share !
    Then you'll all have similar credentials to get you started ...
    I suppose that depends critically on how you define "credentials".

When I show a prospective model some of my work, I usually say "This is what I do.".

Difficult to make that statement when the port contains work from many sources.

- Leigh

Perhaps photographers who want to shoot nudes could get together and shoot each other.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morris View Post
    Perhaps photographers who want to shoot nudes could get together and shoot each other.
    That goes back to the old joke...

Photog to model: "I'd like to shoot you in the nude."

Model to photog: "Take off your clothes if you want, but I won't."

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I suppose that depends critically on how you define "credentials".

When I show a prospective model some of my work, I usually say "This is what I do.".

Difficult to make that statement when the port contains work from many sources.

- Leigh
    Yes, indeed. However, such a book can provide ideas upon which model and photographer might improvise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    However, such a book can provide ideas upon which model and photographer might improvise.
    Of course, you could use it as a "posing guide".

I've found the ones with line drawings rather than photos seem to be less intimidating.
    When models view photos they invariably make comparisons with themselves, which is a distraction.

- Leigh