Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From a student photo major -- Indianapolis

Hello From a student photo major -- Indianapolis

Hi,

Just wanted to post here to let everyone know that I am a really new newbie. I am a non-degree undergraduate photography major at Indiana University. My advisor has suggested that I use large format for my senior project. So, I have a new/used Cambo SC with a Fuji CM Fujinon-W 4X5 180mm f/5.6 Lens with Copal 1. I am just beginning to learn my way around the camera. So far I think I am making progress but cannot figure out how to remove the dark slides from my new/ used Riteway film backs. I am sure there is a better place for me to post that question. This is a wonderful resource for students. Thanks to all! I am sure you will be hearing a lot from me!

Cheers,
    Martha

Re: Hello From a student photo major -- Indianapolis

Hi Martha, and welcome! The dark slides should just slide out... Once the holder is inserted into the back of the camera, and the lens' shutter is closed, it's safe to pull the slide out. Make sure the little black L pin above the tab is out of the way before pulling the slide. Make the exposure, and reinsert the slide with black tab facing out.

Octogenarian

Martha,

There is a little button near the top of the Rightway film holder.

While pushing it inward, slide the darkslide out to load film.

When the film holder is inserted,the button is depressed automatically when it contacts the camera.

Oh, wow! That was it, the little button! Thanks Octogenarianm you rock!!

hey...what's your senior project?

Quote Originally Posted by martha View Post
    Oh, wow! That was it, the little button! Thanks Octogenarianm you rock!!
    Hi Martha, and welcome aboard.

Since you have the little button, it means you also have the numbering dials at the bottom of the holder.

When you open the loading gate you can adjust these to whatever numbers you want.
    Those numbers appear on the negatives, outside of the normal image area.

I find that an excellent way to key the negatives to my shooting log.

BTW, since nobody has mentioned it here...
    A shooting log is critically important to large-format photography because of all the variables.

Start by numbering all of your film holders. Write the # in the little white tab at the top (not on the darkslide), and also set the number in the wheels I mentioned earlier. Then mark the sides A and B.

You key each entry in your shooting log to the holder number and side.
    Make a comment or simple drawing for each shot in the log, so you're sure which negative it matches.
    Note the shooting conditions, shutter speed, aperture, point of focus, and any other pertinent details.

LF shooting is much different from smaller formats because there are so many variables.
    With LF you have complete control over everything that happens before, during, and after exposure.

Good shooting.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Welcome to large format. Click on over to the Midwest Large Format Asylum at http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/. We have members in Indianapolis, perhaps you could join one or more of us on an outing and get to ask questions in real time?

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Les

Welcome to the LF forum, Martha. No pressure ~ the quicker you learn and practice, the better your results = satisfaction. Good luck.

Les

Leigh, you amaze me how detail orientated you are. I mean that as a sincere compliment. I've never had the patience for it.

Welcome to the forum, Martha!

Smile Re: Hello From a student photo major -- Indianapolis

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    hey...what's your senior project?
    About my senior project . . . Well, it has not been entirely defined yet! It is going to focus on Indiana. I have discussed with my advisor a project that will be about the special features of selected Indiana State Parks. I have been reading about these and realize that each has a special feature -- History, Nature, Geography/Geology, Noteworthy Architecture, Recreational Facilities, etc.). In conjunction with this I would be considering the seasons of the year. Now that I have had time to give this further thought I have begun to realize that there would be considerable travel involved ($$$$), so I am beginning to wonder if I might have taken on too broad a scope for this. So, I am now giving thought to doing the same sort of thing with a focus on Indianapolis. Also on my mind is the fact that Indiana will celebrate the bicentennial in 2016 and how I might work this in. I do know that whatever I select, the project will involve more than Large Format -- I will be incorporating medium format (this is my favorite right now . . . but that could change!) and digital, probably pinhole / zone plate, special silver gelatin processes, (I did a really fun series of Solarized images).
    I would really be interested in ideas the this group might like to contribute. I hope to have a draft plan in place by the time school starts in late August. Your suggestions?