Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lens board adapters question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

lens board adapters question

I have a 4x5 Sinar F2 and have recently acquired a Graphflex press type camera. I am trying to figure out a way to use my lenses on both cameras without having to remount the lenses from lens board to lens board.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Re: lens board adapters question

Get a spare Graflex front standard. Remove the support rods and miscellaneous stuff.
    You need the full front because the retaining slides are on the standard.

Mount it on a Sinar F2 board with a suitable hole cut out to clear the lens.

Any decent machine shop can do that.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Leigh, that was my thought.

And then I realized that Barry's lenses are on Sinar boards. Sinar boards are larger than 4x5 Pacemaker Graphic (if that's the Graphic he has) boards, so attaching a Sinar board to a 4x5 Pacemaker board isn't straightforward and will add extension.

So you'll know, I had the similar problem in reverse. Lotsa lenses on 2x3 Pacemaker boards, gifted a 2x3 Cambo. I had SKGrimes remove the light trap assembly, including lens board sliders, from a 2x3 Pacemaker front standard and mount it on a 2x3 Cambo board. The Pacemaker Graphic light trap assembly is fairly easily removed from the standard so there's no reason to attach a standard to the "other camera" board. Using just the light trap assembly makes a tidier adapter and, done right, adds no extension.

Barry can do what you suggested if he buys a Graphic board for each lens and a Graphic standard. Or he can get a Sinar carrier frame, make a spacer to go between it and a Graphic board (spacer needed to get clearance for the sliders) and then attach his lenses on Sinar boards.

Hi Dan,

Nope. Other way 'round. My intention was to mount the lenses on Graflex boards.
    I guess I forgot to specify that in the previous post.

I did say:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Get a spare Graflex front standard.
    Mount it on a Sinar F2 board with a suitable hole cut out to clear the lens.
    No way you're going to mount a Sinar board on a Graflex press camera. Too big.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

No way you're going to mount a Sinar board on a Graflex press camera. Too big.

- Leigh
    Not so. I should have said that the spacer has to be stepped. This is exactly parallel to the stepped cup-shaped adapters I use to mount fat lenses on tiny little 2x3 Graphic boards.

Cheers,

Dan

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-board-adapters

They're not cheap, but they do good work.

They are also easy to make. I made a Linhof to Sinar adapter by screwing a half lapped wooden frame onto a cut out Sinar board. All you need then is an appropriate rebate for the smaller lens board, and two metal strips (could be brass but I used aluminium). The lower strip is screwed to the wood, and the upper has diagonal slots cut into it so you can push it up to insert the lensboard then down to lock in place. Its really simple. Took about an hour. I'd post a picture but am on a trip to the US now.

I was in the exact same quandry as the OP when I started out with 4x5. I did build an adapter but, eventually, realized that I didn't really want to use the press camera lenses on the sinar....nor did I want to use lenses that did not fold up inside the crown Graphic on the press camera.

The result: one dedicated press camera lens mounted on a graphic board and all the reset on Sinar boards. No adapter needed.

EDIT: I think I still have the Graphic front end in a junk box somewhere...if the OP really thinks he wants to make an adapter. Just mount it to a Sinar board with a suitably large hole in it.

Graflex made an adapter between their Anniversary 4x4 boards and the later Pacemaker boards. Get one of those. Drill four small holes through the corners of the adapter plate and through the Sinar board. Use four small nuts and bolts to bolt the assembly together. The Graflex boards mount on to the front of the adapter and are held in place by two clips. Mount your lenses onto Graflex boards. When using the Sinar just mount the Graflex boards onto your newly made Sinar to Graflex adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hesketh View Post
    Graflex made an adapter between their Anniversary 4x4 boards and the later Pacemaker boards. Get one of those. Drill four small holes through the corners of the adapter plate and through the Sinar board. Use four small nuts and bolts to bolt the assembly together. The Graflex boards mount on to the front of the adapter and are held in place by two clips. Mount your lenses onto Graflex boards. When using the Sinar just mount the Graflex boards onto your newly made Sinar to Graflex adapter.
    That's what I also have done... Easy and, works great.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org