Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED enlarger head for 5x7"

LED enlarger head for 5x7"

After reading some posters`recommendations, I sent an email to Cemil at modernenlargerlamps@icloud.com asking for his E2 version, to fit Omega 5x7" enlargers.

He answered with bad news... he has decided not to make 5x7" heads anymore. So I understand he also stopped making custom LED heads.

I wonder why... but well, for whatever the reason he decided to do so. (BTW, he should modify the web site, it still shows the head as available).

Does anyone know any other similar manufacturer? I`ve found a place where I could buy a "compatible" LED source (Cree LED units too), even way cheaper, but with the drawback that I`ll have to largely modify the housing... not a problem at all, but if someone can advice me something better, I`d be grateful.

Re: LED enlarger head for 5x7"

Ok, problem solved. I have finally bought the LED lamp, at the end the adaptation work has been easier than expected.
    Funny, the lamp is hidden inside the enlarger`s filter drawer/lamp holder part, looks like there is no lamp at all! It looks great, hope it works equally good.
    I`ll now adjust the enlarger and start some testing. Thanks for reading.

Lee Smathers

Jose, I tried asking Cemil about the model 3, variable contrast LED head. He no longer offers that one either. Are the Model 1a and 2 still available? I'd like to hear more about what you did for your adaptation.

He didn`t mentioned nothing about the other models, I understand they are available and/or still in production ("I’m sorry but I will not be making any more 5x7 lamp. Thank you for your email. Cemil Purut").

I had several routes to make a LED head (I`m so happy using LED for my medium format enlargers since one year ago or so, they work great), so I first opted for the easiest one, with an organic LED type lamp.
    I`m still in the testing process (the fitting was quite easy, although I haven`t sealed the box to make it light tight, I want to test it before to know if it really works).

For sure this is not the ^^perfect^^ light source, but in my experience, I don`t really need a source to be perfect, e.g. with VC papers with perfect steps from #0 to #5 contrast grades; I can use under the lens filters, and usually I don`t need the complete contrast range (for years, my favorites have been fixed contrast #2 and #3 bromide papers). I still keep the original light sources (halogen and tungsten), but I have never used them again since I have the LEDs.

Let me to finish the test and will let know you if it works. BTW, right now I have spent around $30 on it
    Last edited by jose angel; 4-Jul-2014 at 03:08.

Photevangelist, I`ve sent you a PM.

I'm missing something here? If he's no longer making 5x7 sources, did you buy something else?), or did he have some left? $30 sounds amazingly cheap.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Mdarnton, since he is not making 5x7" heads anymore, I have had to buy some parts (hardware store) to make my own one. Thanks God LED products start to be common, even for home appliances, so I bough one of these (39EUR), and have it already adapted to fit my E3.
    (I`m sorry; I actually spent near $50, I applied the conversion rates in the opposite way... anyway, still a ridiculous amount for a 5x7" LED head).

For 5x7' It's easier than that. I have a Lightpad 920 which gives much illumimation and even light..$69 at Amazon

You have convinced Evan, I am going to try it YOUR way!

The 920 is now $60 Amazon Prime.

Being an traditionist in style, it will fit inside my 5X7 Elwood with the dome on.

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    For 5x7' It's easier than that. I have a Lightpad 920 which gives much illumimation and even light..$69 at Amazon

FWIW, neither of the Lightpads fit the E3. They are too long for the housing.