Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Enlarger?

8x10 Enlarger?

Hello all, I just found this Century Studio Stand and need your advice on whether it could be turned into an 8x10 enlarger. Haven't seen personally yet, will give the guy a call later. The price is right, providing it is in decent shape, and best of all it's right here in my hometown. I've attached some pics, so please let me know your thoughts, good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00l0l_eDwXCM07LUH_600x450.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	117514

Name:	00o0o_2z1nLfryanr_600x450.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	117515

Name:	00W0W_6KHlTVEZLVn_600x450.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	117516

Name:	00808_c7JU9iC4bj7_600x450.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	117517

Re: 8x10 Enlarger?

Nice find. I'd say go for it. Nice sturdy Master Studio Camera and stand. You can buy a led light panel for a light source.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Nice find. I'd say go for it. Nice sturdy Master Studio Camera and stand. You can buy a led light panel for a light source.

Jon
    Thanks Jon, will let you know how it turns out. I have a couple of Kodak wood holders I'm hoping I can make negative carriers out of.

I've been drawing one of these out, too. I was planning on making a carrier like a picture frame. I am going to make them out ao 1/4-2/8 oak stock. I am going to put small hinges (the size like on a jewelry box) to hinge them together and sandwich the negative between them. I'm going to use tape to hold the edges to the frame. I think this would be much easier than modifying a holder. I do 5x7 also so am going to make a carrier for 5x7 also.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesp View Post
    Thanks Jon, will let you know how it turns out. I have a couple of Kodak wood holders I'm hoping I can make negative carriers out of.
    I would just tape the neg to a sheet of glass, which is the easiest way to keep the film flat.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

From the few images I've seen, it seems like Ansel did much the same thing for his enlarger. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it does have that appearance from his photos of it in his books. You might take a look at those and see how to apply
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

From the picture it is hard to tell if it has enough bellows extension for smaller (8x10 to 11x14) prints from 8x10 negatives. If you are going to do very big enlargements, it should be OK. What is the maximum extension? What format is the camera (11x14? 8x10?)
    I'm sure you have seen the Ansel Adams enlarger. I don't think many people make enlargers that way these days, because 'real' 8x10 enlargers can be easier to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    From the picture it is hard to tell if it has enough bellows extension for smaller (8x10 to 11x14) prints from 8x10 negatives. If you are going to do very big enlargements, it should be OK. What is the maximum extension? What format is the camera (11x14? 8x10?)
    I'm sure you have seen the Ansel Adams enlarger. I don't think many people make enlargers that way these days, because 'real' 8x10 enlargers can be easier to obtain.
    Thanks for the input everyone, the price was right so I bit. Came with 8x10 and 5x7 backs, lensboards, and a few other accessories I'll have to figure out. Ic-racer the max extension is around 36 inches, maybe a little less. Want to use this with studio lights and my 14 inch Kodak Ektar, and also have it rigged to do enlargements with a 19 inch APO Goertz (if I can have the best of both worlds). I plan on doing 16x20 and 30x40 prints mainly, so I think this would work for enlarging. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    From the few images I've seen, it seems like Ansel did much the same thing for his enlarger. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it does have that appearance from his photos of it in his books. You might take a look at those and see how to apply
    AA's enlarger was a Deardorff 11x14 studio camera, first with a multi bulb incandescent head where switches were connected to each bulb and the light could be controlled by turning bulbs on and off. This eventually was replaced by a cold light head/

19" lens is a little long for the format, but your bellows should work and as a horizontal enlarger, the extra distance between the lens and paper should not be an issue.