Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Edward Weston

Re: Edward Weston

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    I would suggest being very careful when believing what has been written about Edward Weston or appears on forums such as this. There are some qualified sources, however unfortunately very few persons are left to correct any distortions or untruths that sometimes appear.
    Thank you Mr. Ross. We have to remember that Weston died in 1958, and the people that actually knew him are few. This May, I visited Wildcat Hill and met Kim Weston. I was taken aback by Kim telling that he had only met his grandfather a couple of times, and really only had one good memory of him. Kim was born in 1953, so, of course, would have only known Edward while he (Kim) was small child. While making perfect sense, it just never occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    Merg,
    Wonderful recollections ! Thank you for sharing and for your personal thoughts.
    You were indeed fortunate to have ongoing access into Edward Weston's life at your young age.

Clearly those experiences and your association, in general, with the Westons influenced your life in a very deep and meaningful way.

With appreciation,

Dennis

Nicely said, Dennis.

Within those experiences and influences there were also lessons in honesty, integrity, generosity and loyalty. Fortunate indeed!

Thanks to all of you for your comments; much appreciated.

Merg

Kevin Kolosky

Merg

I really think you should write the book. One from the standpoint of learning those lessons from one of the great photographers of our time. The everyday stuff. Hanging around with Edward Weston stories. Perhaps include some of your work that you had Edward look at.

One thing is for sure. I KNOW I WOULD BUY A COPY. I bet a lot of other folks would too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Thank you Mr. Ross. We have to remember that Weston died in 1958, and the people that actually knew him are few. This May, I visited Wildcat Hill and met Kim Weston. I was taken aback by Kim telling that he had only met his grandfather a couple of times, and really only had one good memory of him. Kim was born in 1953, so, of course, would have only known Edward while he (Kim) was small child. While making perfect sense, it just never occurred to me.
    David -

Glad you made a visit to Wildcat Hill. Fifty years elapsed between my last visit with Edward and my return. It is wonderful that Kim and Gina have preserved so much of the original feeling of Wildcat, with the addition of a few missing comforts. The darkroom is much unchanged, a marvel to think that so much great work was produced in such a confined space.

Yes, I am a decade-plus older that Kim but we share memories of Edward cutting up spleen to feed his large cat population --- it was one of those unforgettable smells of early Wildcat!

Perhaps too young to remember his grandfather, Kim had wonderful years to know and work with his Uncle Brett.

Thanks for your comments, I am familiar with your fine work.

Merg

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post

I would suggest being very careful when believing what has been written about Edward Weston or appears on forums such as this. There are some qualified sources, however unfortunately very few persons are left to correct any distortions or untruths that sometimes appear. I have two photographer friends who knew Edward, one in the 1930's --- both are nonagenarians and between us we do our best to correct the inevitable falsehoods relating to the years of photography in which we have been actively engaged. When the watchdogs are gone, fiction has a way of becoming fact!

What are some of these fictions Merg?

Hi Merg

a great piece from you, short, to the point and succinct etc etc

thanks yet again for your contribution to this forum

best

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    What are some of these fictions Merg?
    I am not an expert on the life and times of Edward Weston. As mentioned above, I knew him for only the last decade of his life. That experience, and my friendship with those who knew a younger Weston, form the basis of my knowledge. Perhaps fiction is too strong a word. However, I believe that misconceptions such as those fostered by Ben Maddow in his 1973 distorted Weston "biography" of a man he never met, need to be countered with more knowledgeable assessments.

For this, I suggest reading Dody Weston Thompson's essay on Edward Weston that first appeared in The Malahat Review of the University of Victoria in 1970, and was later expanded and updated to accompany the magnificent 2003 book published by Lodima Press (Edward Weston - Life Work). Merle Armitage, responsible for the publication of Edward's first book in 1932 (The Art of Edward Weston) considered Dody's Malahat Review essay the best piece ever written about Edward --- honestly written with sensitivity and integrity, unlike the ballyhooed Maddow narrative and preoccupation with the salacious. Fortunately, in 1973 there were plenty still alive to set the record straight --- Edward's sons, the Newhalls, Merle, Dody, Charlot, Ansel, Charis, et al.

I am unaware of misconceptions presently in need of correction and those in the past have been addressed as they occurred, by myself and others. Ultimately, people will believe what they wish to believe, myself included.

Ansel perhaps said it best in speaking of his friend --- "In the presence of his art, let us not overlook the great kindly qualities of the man himself". I think of these qualities when recalling Edward Weston, and of my good fortune to have known him.

The Ben Maddow biography may be flawed, but it's the only one we've got.
    Reading The Daybooks, and the books and articles about Marghrete, and Tina, can fill in a lot of the early history, and of course Charis' very readable book covers most of his last years (Sonya seems to have been given short shrift).
    I'm told there is a bunch of family correspondence in Tucson, etc.
    But I think that for the foreseeable future the Maddow book is the best we're going to have to cover the whole story.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Abuser of God's Sunlight

There's an essay in this book by Robert Adams titled "Weston: The Biography I'd like to Read." As the title suggests, Adams agrees with some of you that the existing biographies are lacking. In the process of telling why, he offers some original insights into both Weston and the difficult craft of biography. There are other good essays in the book too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Hi Merg

a great piece from you, short, to the point and succinct etc etc

thanks yet again for your contribution to this forum

best

andrew
    Greetings Andrew, and belated thanks for the note. I have enjoyed adding my voice to this forum over the years. Photography, and the influential persons of my youth plus those befriended along the way, have enriched my life beyond words.

Best,
    Merg