Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edward Weston

Kevin Kolosky

Edward Weston

Merg (Mr. Ross)

When he wasn't otherwise doing or talking about photography, what kind of a guy was Edward Weston, in your perception.
    I know he had his loves, etc., but what I am wondering is how he related to people in general. Did he do normal things, (like going to the grocery store, bars, parties, theaters, etc., ) or did he shy away from normalcy (if there is such a thing)?

Re: Edward Weston

His Daybooks tell a lot about his everyday life. I knew Cole and he often talked about the parties which were very common. According to many, he was very much a people person. He never had much money and lived a somewhat Spartan, but not secluded life. He loved to dress up as various characters and he loved to dance.

Kevin Kolosky

So people regularly saw him downtown at the grocery store and the drug store and maybe the beer joint? And he talked about other things than photography, like fishing, and cars, and of course women, and food, and his family, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    So people regularly saw him downtown at the grocery store
    Well he had to get all those peppers he photographed somewhere.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Eric Biggerstaff

Since Merg knew him, I am sure he will have a nice answer for you when he sees this post. I will be interested to learn a little more myself.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

While we wait for Mr. Ross to tell us of his own experiences, find copies of the 'Daybooks', both volumes. I understand that they're out of print, though. And read 'Through Another Lens', by his second wife Charis. And an anthology of writing about Weston, 'EW 100'.
    Myself, I hope that Merg speaks up; he must be one of the few people still alive who knew the man, and I'd value his comments extremely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    ... find copies of the 'Daybooks', both volumes. ... And read 'Through Another Lens', by his second wife Charis (Wilson).
    I second these suggestions.

Why would he not have done ordinary things? He lived a pretty ordinary life. He was well known, if not "famous" among certain circles, but nothing near what celebrities experience in these times.

Kevin Kolosky

"Why would he not have done ordinary things?"

I don't know. That is why I asked Merg to tell us what he knows.

Ruth Barnhard said that he was the best sex she ever had. (He got around, you know.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Try the following titles:

Through Another Lens by Charis Wilson (An amazing book I keep going back to.)
    Artful Lives by Beth Warren (Very interesting about Edward's time in Los Angeles.)
    A Restless Eye by John Woods (Brett Weston biography that gives much insight into the Weston family dynamics.)

The various biographical essays that accompany the many Edward Weston monographs. Especially the big Conger CCP Weston Catalog.

Avoid the Madlow bio. Perhaps the worst biography I've ever read.
    You'll certainly want to supplement with the two Modotti bios of Albers and Hooks.
    And the correspondence between Weston and Adams.
    There are also two short volumes of correspondence between Edward and Cole and Edward and Brett.

There is a lot material out there.