Thread: Darkroom Beginner - Omega D3 - Deal or not?

Darkroom Beginner - Omega D3 - Deal or not?

Hi!

I am a total newbie. Fairly knowledgable on the digital side of things, but am looking to feed the nostalgia bug in me. I've been looking for a good deal on an enlarger so that I can print and develop at home. I have found a photographer closing his studio willing to sell me a load of stuff to get me started. He didn't list specifics on all the other supplies, just said trays, tanks, changing bags etc., but he did say his enlarger was an Omega D3. He is asking $125 for the whole lot. Says everything is in great condition. Any info you can give me about the enlarger would be great. I don't want to buy a model that won't be beneficial to me. I haven't bought an SLR yet, still looking.

Thanks so much for your input

Krista

Re: Darkroom Beginner - Omega D3 - Deal or not?

In addition to the expertise here, be sure to join the "Ask Harry!" help forum at this site:

http://www.classic-enlargers.com/cgi...?board=general

You can search for threads dedicated to the Omega enlarger series, such as the D3.

Plus Harry is great at answering beginning questions about Omega enlargers.

Krista,
    I have an Omega D3 and picked it up used...20 years ago. You will need a lens, cones and neg carriers for each format you intend to enlarge. I have a dicro head on mine and use it for B/W printing. If the seller includes the essentials...its a smoking deal...IMO.

2 Bit Hack

Yes, if you are getting lenses, neg carriers, mounting plates, and any other necessary attachments for your format(s), the price seems fair. But the question is does it seem fair to you. Some are more willing to turn loose of cash than others. If you can check out the gear before purchasing.

If the gear includes the things like Nikkor stainless steel tanks and reels, those can be a tad pricey. Not so much if they are plastic types. Fine grain focusers can run a bit pricey too if they are of the right make. Go to your favorite photo dealer say B&H and price a darkroom setup, including tanks, trays, tongs, timers, hangers (I use a string and cloths line pins). Total all that up without the enlarger and associated gear. That should give you a better idea of what you are buying and how much you are paying for the enlarger. But again make sure you are getting a lens, lens board, negative carriers.
    Regards

Marty

The most important parts unique to the D3 will be focus cams and lens cones. Try to get as many as you can. For 4x5 you would need at least the 135mm cam and 4 1/4" cone or 150mm focus cam and matching 5¼" cone. It does not need special negative carriers, the common Omega "D" ones will fit.

Sounds like a good deal to me (I've had an Omega D2 for 60+ years -- they are indestructible).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kwoods25 View Post
    Hi!
    Welcome to the forum, Krista!

Quote Originally Posted by kwoods25 View Post
    ... but he did say his enlarger was an Omega D3. He is asking $125 for the whole lot.
    Yes, that's a great deal! Yes, yes, yes! Go for it! The Omega enlargers, and just about any enlarger in general, will go for decades with no problems.

What makes a D3 different from the other Omega enlargers is that it has "focus track" for automatically focusing the head. I'm sure the enlarger will come with at least one of these. You should ask if there are more. Mine came with just one.

Now all you need is a camera and film, and then you'll be all set for lots of fun!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans