Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More questions on tintype images...

Noob

More questions on tintype images...

Hello one and all,

My first post here, and I'd first like to say thank you for your interest in this post. I was recently the lucky recipient of a c.1925 version of a Kodak Model 2 8x10 inch view camera that appears to be in impeccable condition. The camera was given to me (read FREE) along with the original wooden tripod, some film holders, a contact printer, 3x combo lens, shutter and a case for all of it. I think I can take the camera out immediately and start shooting, it's in that good of shape. Anyway, I've been a photojournalist for a LONG time and am looking for a different direction to go. Maybe buy a place near the beach and open a small gallery that is of tintype images of all sorts- beach scenes, people, architecture and maybe even a nude or two. Mostly high-end, gallery grade stuff.

I am researching all of this, but am seeing that the tintype kits seem to be hit or miss, but most are saying "miss". I am interested in keeping the process as authentic as possible, so am interested to know if anyone has a site that shows processes, chemical formulas and technique? I would really appreciate any information.

My next question is most likely a little stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway because nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? So, I am thinking that a tintype can be a lot like making a photographic print. Has anyone tried or experimented with using a black and white negative and enlarging it onto a tintype, and then developing it in a normal developer? Is this crazy or common? Any feedback on my genius or stupidity about this is appreciated! :-)

Re: More questions on tintype images...

YouTube has a lot of wet plate videos; Quinn Jacobson has tons of stuff there.
    That would be a very good place to start.

I've ordered the wet plate kit from Bostick & Sullivan, but I won't be able to try it out until late July.
    It was bought on the advice of others, who highly recommended it.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

There are quite a few very good collodion workshops out there that offer hands-on experience making tintypes, Ambrotypes, collodion glass-plate negatives, etc. That will answer most of your questions far better than forum posts.

Regarding enlarging onto a tintype, you'd actually want to enlarge from a positive transparency. Yes, it's been done, with varying degrees of success.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Noob

Thanks, Ari! I'll check both of those out!

Noob

Mark, thank you for your response, too. At least I know that what I was thinking wasn't totally out of the ballpark. Do you have any workshops that you'd recommend? BTW, I noticed you're from Tuscon... do you by chance know a photographer there named Dave Kadolabowski? Good guy and a great shooter.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'd just Google "collodion workshop" and "tintype workshop" and see what's near you. Location, price, class size, and instructor experience would be the biggest considerations.

Sorry, I don't know Dave.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Zebra

Pixeldawg,

From what I can gather you are about 5 1/2 hours from me in Asheville, NC. I have taught Collodion at The Penland School and various other workshops over the last decade. I teach individual workshops if interested.

Regardless of who you might end up using its my opinion, and its only just that an opinion, that a workshop is the best place to learn Collodion from the ground up. There are many excellent practitioners that would be able to help you some of which might even be closer than myself.

Feel free to PM if I can be of help to you.

Monty

Look up The Collodion Bastards on Facebook. Tons of helpful people and I believe the head "bastard" lives in TN. Also, the Bostick & Sullivan kit works very well. I've made a lot of plates using this kit.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Monty McCutchen View Post
    Pixeldawg,

From what I can gather you are about 5 1/2 hours from me in Asheville, NC. I have taught Collodion at The Penland School and various other workshops over the last decade. I teach individual workshops if interested.

Regardless of who you might end up using its my opinion, and its only just that an opinion, that a workshop is the best place to learn Collodion from the ground up. There are many excellent practitioners that would be able to help you some of which might even be closer than myself.

Feel free to PM if I can be of help to you.

Monty
    Monty,

Thanks! I'll contact you tomorrow by PM. I have a friend who lives in Charlotte, so maybe while I visit, I can swing by.

Noob

Tim,

I've actually done that, and requested membership, but have not gotten a response from them. Been about a week...