Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back from Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite Tioga Pass

Back from Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite Tioga Pass

Hi fellow photographers. I'd like to thank those that posted in the other threads about travel to the high Sierras. The threads helped me decide on what to do. Now i offer some advice, from someone who was just there, mid June. I drove from Tucson, Arizona, towing a 1958 camper, so some of my decisions were based on that.

In general, we liked the less crowded Kings Canyon and Tuolumne Meadows (way out of the Yosemite valley, and much higher). My route from Tucson zigzagged towards Fresno, CA, trying to not be on Interstate highways the whole time. We went through Joshua Tree, for example. If you are towing or driving slow, you should know I-10 from AZ to CA is extremely fast, busy, and chaotic. It's very white knuckle driving if you are trying to stay below 75 MPH (again, I was towing a 1958 camper). I found I could drive the secondary roads most of the time, at about 60mph.

Weather in June anywhere except the high elevations is very, very hot. I sometimes registered over 100 degrees for hours at a time, even in the evening towards sundown. You don't want to try to camp anywhere in the Soutwest that is below about 6,000 feet in June. So we drove long hours to get to the high ground. At 6,000 it was usually about 80 degrees, dry, and nice. Still too hot for me, so I stayed above 8,000 when I could, which was 70 degrees day, and 40s at night. perfect!

First, we went to Kings Canyon, which is on the northern boundary of Sequoia National Park. It was not crowded, and most of the campgrounds were about 1/3 full during the week. We had no trouble finding a campsite with huge boulders and a view and Sequoias. Large format opportunities abound, anything from giant trees, to huge mountain valleys, to roaring rivers. I could have spent more than 5 days there, but wanted to check out Yosemite. The difference was like night and day.

Yosemite Valley was much more crowded. Drivers were angry, cutting each other off, roaring to the next parking spot at 60 MPH, blocking each other trying to find parking, etc. Basically, it sucked. How you would find a place to set up LF, and not get people in the shot, I don't know. Some places, like the falls, were like a Spring Break video, with close to a hundred people climbing all over the rocks around the falls, yelling and screaming at their more fearful partners below. I spent about 30 minutes in the Valley and bailed.

We drove up Tioga pass to Toulumne Meadows, where I got a reservation to camp (pretty easy, even just a week before travel). It was a LONG, very beautiful drive to the meadows from the Valley, about 1 3/4 hours. There were many overlooks, beautiful alpine lakes, and cool meadows. You could spend a day driving slow, parking at overlooks, and taking LF shots. The campground was much better than the Valley, full of serious backpackers, climbers, and outdoor enthusiasts. I spent another 5 days there. Read: the opposite of what you'll get in the valley. There are more rock domes, alpine lakes, and falls around here than you'd ever be able to shoot. My advice is go there.

Re: Back from Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Yosemite Tioga Pass

Driving Tioga pass was very enjoyable, and we did it from end to end several times, starting about 16 June. There was no snow near any roads. Speaking of driving, we noticed a strange phenomena in all these National Parks. There were no mileage markers, no signs showing miles to major destinations, etc. Even the free guide maps they give you when you enter the parks don't show mileage. I had never encountered such a dearth of distance guidance before in the West. When the map shows "Roaring Falls" along the road, you don't know until you drive it if it's 5 miles, or 25. Often the latter. My wife thought it was because they wanted to sell you the more comprehensive hiking/topo maps, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Even the hiking trails were poorly signed. Often, you'd come to a junction, and there would be a good sign with arrows showing what was up each fork, "Gopher Valley.....Deer Poop Falls...." But NOTING about how FAR! Hmmm....could be an hour up to the falls, could be a day....what should we do? Of course, I'm a wilderness hiker, mule rider, and all, so I don't really need it on the sign, I can figure out distance on the topo maps or whatever. But the point is, you don't WANT to HAVE to buy a topo map for every little 5 mile day hike. 99% of the tourists just pull off into a trailhead lot, look at the signs, and pick something to walk to. Many I found turning back after they were wore out, not knowing how far they had to go to the missed destination. Again, the roads were the same way. You better keep your gas tank full, because it's easy to drive 100 miles on a morning drive. I can't for the life of me figure out why they keep people so in the dark. They would prevent a lot of rescue work (ongoing the whole time I was there) by simply marking the trail distances. They would prevent a lot of out of gas motorists by simply putting mileage on the handouts at the gates.

Other than that silliness, we loved the trip. We even made a side trip to the Bodie ghost town, which is amazing! Here is yours truly on 9449' Lembert Dome.

Wildlife is everywhere, and yes we did see bear three times. Deer are so tame you can walk to within 15 yards of them, the Golden Marmots too. LF is not the best choice for wildlife photography, so I used a lot of 35mm and my Fuji XE-1 mostly.

Finally, if you can I recommend you go into the Toulumne Meadows area of Yosemite from the East, via highway 395. This is how we went back to Arizona, but if I return, I'll go in this way. The eastern side of the Sierras is very quiet, and has several interesting little western towns like Lone Pine and Independence where you can spend a night on your way. The traffic is very mild, and once you start heading up Tioga Pass from that direction, you can be in the meadows in 45 minutes. To me, this was much preferred than the 3 hours coming from the Western/populated side of the Sierras.

Looks like you had a great time in our great parks in our great state. As you mention the "Sierras", I was disappointed not see any pix from the Sierra Blanca, Sierra Madre, Sierra Negro, etc. – only pix, un-labeled, of apparently the Sierra Nevada. Nice pix – the first post seems to be all Yosemite, the second SEKI. LF efforts?

Regarding pulling your trailer, you must have been pleased with California's statewide 55 mph for all vehicles with trailers, seemingly universally ignored.

I had a first LF experience in Mineral King (SEKI) a few weeks ago. I turned around after making my last exposure of the day and found this herd of velvet antlered young-uns' moving slowly towards me. I quickly () rotated the camera, put on the 450mm, recomposed, and clicked the shutter just as the sunset backlighting left the budding aspen in the upper left. I almost never take the opportunity to shoot wildlife with any image making device, even though I am a biologist by degree, but the challenge of doing so with LF simply overcame me. Here is the scanned 5x7 (cropped 3:5) – Ilford FP4+, f22, ¼ sec., PMK Pyro. The middle deer is positively Lamarckian :

One of the (many) great benefits, from my point of view, to not living on the west side of the range (anymore), is the relative quick access to the Karakoram style Eastern Escarpment of the Sierra – a much preferred, and higher elevation way, to enter the parks, or access the true High Sierra. BTW, many visitors to the Sierra Nevada, particularly from Europe, are positively crestfallen if they do not have an encounter with our bears. Mineral King, in the fall, is an almost sure spot for that kind of experience.

Zebra

Garrett,

Any chance at portable darkroom/slash wet plate for you? Would love to see it if you had a chance. Sounds like a great time, and probably family oriented (collodion ain't so family friendly at least to mine!) but thought I would ask nonetheless

Monty

Has Been LF Photographer

Nice photos. I assume they're digital?

Nice job on a very informative post! Hoping to get into Yosemite in the Fall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6508.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	117195

Good to hear of your successful adventure! Did you, or would you have been willing to take the trailer to the Alabama Hills? Dusty and wash-board roads, but great rocks to camp amongst and photograph. I have seen RV's and trailers out there.

My last trip (early May) to Yosemite I arrived and departed via Tioga Pass. It just adds 100 miles (total: 560mi/900km) and a couple hours to the trip from Humboldt County. But the eastside Sierras and the roads that wind their way between the Sierras and the Cascades in northern CA are well worth it. If I can, I'll save the shorter drive down the Central Valley for the times Tioga Pass is closed.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Preston Birdwell

Looks like you had a great time, Garrett!

I don't go close to Yosemite Valley between Mother's Day and early November. Even then, except for deep winter, there's a lot of folks. During the summer, I camp on the East Side, and then take day trips up the hill to Yosemite, always turning around at Olmstead Point if I go that far. The Yosemite High Country is one of my favorite places.

Glad you had a good time, and we're looking forward to seeing some LF images.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Good to hear of your successful adventure! Did you, or would you have been willing to take the trailer to the Alabama Hills? Dusty and wash-board roads, but great rocks to camp amongst and photograph. I have seen RV's and trailers out there.

As a matter of fact we did camp our last night in the Alabama Hills. Very nice. it was only about 80 degrees, and by night it got cooler. The smell of sage was in the air.