Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today...

Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

Video games get a bad rap. There is nothing wrong with playing as long as it's in moderation and appropriate for the child's age. You don't buy a six year old Grand Theft Auto. Parents need to be parents and control what and how much their children play.

My daughter has always played video games and in fact we were Halo buddies. I knew what she was playing and never worried about it. She was very active in school activities, sports, pottery, and Girl Scouts. She could swim, ice skate, ride a bike, and throw the nastiest drop curve you ever saw.

Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    No hardhat, no belt, no boots, no cleats...
    In these parts the climbing "cleats" are called "gavs" ... as are the razors fastened to the legs of fighting cocks. The last time I saw climbing stakes going up a power pole had to have been in the 70's - bucket trucks have supplanted them and the gavs for the most part. -Chris

5x7 Speeders rock! 5x7 Speeders in places where Deardorffs can't get to rock all the more. That guy in the photo is my new hero
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

thanks so much for sharing this, would love to see the image he took!
    Maybe it was this one (Library of Congress)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11327r.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    In the 50's Mom would tell us to go out and not come back till dinner, In Minnesota in any weather.
    We had lot's of fun.
    My mom did the same in the 1970's...also in Minnesota. There was hell to pay if we were not washed and ready to eat when she set dinner on the table though .

Same for me and neighbourhood kids in the 70's in Saskatoon.

We always ate a hot dinner together, without TV or music. I would try to read a book. I usually rose at 4 am so I could read peacefully with the dog, next to the heat.

Yes and do not be late to dinner. Learned to eat fast, if I wanted enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    My mom did the same in the 1970's...also in Minnesota. There was hell to pay if we were not washed and ready to eat when she set dinner on the table though .

It disappoints me to see such gross generalizations of my generation. Well okay I'm almost 29 but let's be honest, there's a number of guys posting on the forums here who could be my grandfather.

But seriously - it's not a "generational" thing. I grew up playing video games as well as tumbling around outside with friends, and doing all kinds of crazy things (still do). Things haven't changed as much as some would like to believe. There's also a lot of differences in parenting and upbringing.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    It disappoints me to see such gross generalizations of my generation. Well okay I'm almost 29 but let's be honest, there's a number of guys posting on the forums here who could be my grandfather.

. . .
    ... or great grandfather
    al

...or fossils, sonny!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White