Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today...

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Tonopah, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    6,331

    Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today...

    http://www.shorpy.com/node/17880?size=_original#caption

    Our current world is run by a generation of total life experience in front of Xbox with a joystick that thinks going out of the house is unsafe. I love seeing stuff like this (and have done my share of heroic foolishness) ((and survived)).
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com I am "tpahjim" on ebay See Something U Want, Talk 2 Me Here

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    418

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    No hardhat, no belt, no boots, no cleats...

    Sure would like one of those top handle 5x7 Speeds. If I can't find one, I might have to make one. Don't know where I would find a 5x7 FP shutter so it might have to be a "Crown Graphic".

  3. #3
    Tim Sandstrom
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    285

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    thanks so much for sharing this, would love to see the image he took!
    poles are tough enough to climb with both hands!

  4. #4
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,436

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    and wearing Spectator shoes.

    There are climping stakes on that pole.

    Great image!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,116

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    I am the one that posted the comment about it being a 5x7 speed. ;-)

  6. #6
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,436

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    I have never played a video game since I realized Pac Man was hard on my eyes. Decided right then to never play computer games.

    I vastly prefer being outside and worked outside much of my life.

    In the 50's Mom would tell us to go out and not come back till dinner, In Minnesota in any weather.

    We had lot's of fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/17880?size=_original#caption

    Our current world is run by a generation of total life experience in front of Xbox with a joystick that thinks going out of the house is unsafe. I love seeing stuff like this (and have done my share of heroic foolishness) ((and survived)).

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Tonopah, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    6,331

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have never played a video game since I realized Pac Man was hard on my eyes. Decided right then to never play computer games.

    I vastly prefer being outside and worked outside much of my life.

    In the 50's Mom would tell us to go out and not come back till dinner, In Minnesota in any weather.

    We had lot's of fun.
    That was my mom's method too, as it should be any good mom's. Go outside and play. She cured us of whining 'i don't have anything to do!' She would grab some clippers and proceed to trim everything in the yard and make us spend the rest of the day cleaning it all up! I don't know what's up with mom's these days. It isn't rocket science.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com I am "tpahjim" on ebay See Something U Want, Talk 2 Me Here

  8. #8
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,436

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    And when we 3 boys fought, we were told to go out and do it in the backyard, Mom would watch, but she never stopped a fight. We would fight til we dropped. I am the runt and I never give up.

    Dad was at work.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    That was my mom's method too, as it should be any good mom's. Go outside and play. She cured us of whining 'i don't have anything to do!' She would grab some clippers and proceed to trim everything in the yard and make us spend the rest of the day cleaning it all up! I don't know what's up with mom's these days. It isn't rocket science.

  9. #9
    Jac@stafford.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Winona, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,410

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I don't know what's up with mom's these days.
    It is disconcerting because those moms are our children.

    My mother was a maker, a doer, old-school. She started jogging when she was seventy years-old. That was twenty years ago. We don't know where the hell she is now.
    .

  10. #10
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,436

    Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

    I am very proud to say my step-daughter, her husband and their 2 teenage boys, are campers, mountain climbers and runners. My daughter also controls the video games and TV watching. The boys are very polite teenagers.

    I think they are all exceptional, but of course I would.

    Her husband is suspiciously like me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It is disconcerting because those moms are our children.

    My mother was a maker, a doer, old-school. She started jogging when she was seventy years-old. That was twenty years ago. We don't know where the hell she is now.
    .

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2-Nov-2013, 07:16
  2. Cool picture at Shorpy today...
    By Jim Galli in forum Image Sharing (LF) & Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 1-Aug-2013, 22:01
  3. Best Wishes and Speedy Recovery, Aggie!
    By Geary Lyons in forum Announcements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2008, 12:43
  4. Great Herman Leonard interview on NPR today.
    By Jim Galli in forum On Photography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-May-2007, 08:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •