Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limitations or weaknesses in 510 Pyro

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    45-57-617

Cool Limitations or weaknesses in 510 Pyro

Hi,

I'd like to ask about any issues to do with 510 Pyro now that the photographic community has been able to use it for some time. Things like "don't use it for rotary processing at 1:100" or "it is a bit unpredictable at high dilutions on T-grained films" or "make sure you use a minimum of 5ml of stock solution" etc, etc.

Obviously, those with repeated experience are most qualified to speak to this. I'm asking to focus on 510 Pyro specifically. I'm hoping to not get involved in comparisons with other developers. This is a genuine attempt to collate findings I guess. No need to be defensive; I'd like to not hide issues but be honest about things please.

I guess if there are no responses then we've found the perfect developer! :-)

Cheers,

Steve

ps. Why is there a smiley in the title?!?!

Luis

Re: Limitations or weaknesses in 510 Pyro

Never had any issue, been using it for several years now but times out there looks like too short to me. Rotation, stand, manual agitation worked well. Subjectively speaking, I'd use catechol for 135mm but 510 also worked ok with it

Luis

Oh, never tried T grain with it

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    Hi,

I'd like to ask about any issues to do with 510 Pyro now that the photographic community has been able to use it for some time. Things like "don't use it for rotary processing at 1:100" or "it is a bit unpredictable at high dilutions on T-grained films" or "make sure you use a minimum of 5ml of stock solution" etc, etc.

Obviously, those with repeated experience are most qualified to speak to this. I'm asking to focus on 510 Pyro specifically. I'm hoping to not get involved in comparisons with other developers. This is a genuine attempt to collate findings I guess. No need to be defensive; I'd like to not hide issues but be honest about things please.

I guess if there are no responses then we've found the perfect developer! :-)

Cheers,

Steve

ps. Why is there a smiley in the title?!?!
    There are no weaknesses as far as I'm concerned. I like it for semi-stand development and the way it compensates when developing roll films with a mix of subjects and lighting conditions. The tonal range is remarkably good and it doesn't clump the grain up, which for my pictures wouldn't be appropriate (might be different if I started portraits of Jazz musicians performing in night clubs)...

It seems to keep for ever and needs no change to time and temperature even when it has turned almost black at the bottom of the bottle. If it wasn't for OBSIDIAN AQUA, which I like when I want extra sharpness but still with fine grain, I'd use nothing else.

RR

Hello
    The agitation scheme has to be "minimal" to avoid too fast oxidation, or fog can be a bit high.
    Very toxic.

45-57-617

I haven't opened the new containers yet but it occurs to me that the slightly thick stock solution might be somewhat difficult to mete out in small quantities. I use a syringe and some small diameter clear PVC tubing with PyroCat-HD...

Luis

I haven't opened the new containers yet but it occurs to me that the slightly thick stock solution might be somewhat difficult to mete out in small quantities. I use a syringe and some small diameter clear PVC tubing with PyroCat-HD...
    Heat it slightly and it will become more fluid. Watch the flashpoint of Tea, it can end in a real mess. For measruring I ended turning down syringes, pipes, etc. and just drop the syrup slowly in a 25 ml graduate. 5 or 10 ml, then add water, dilute and mix with the rest of water. Refill until the graduate doesn't show traces of undissolved syrup. IMHO it's faster and cleaner.

No it's dead easy to get exact quantities, Jay uses a pipette, but I've found a 10 ml syringe to be perfectly good for the job. I use it to suck out 5 ml of stock solution and dispense that into 200 to 300 ml of tap water and then drop the syringe into the sink for washing and add enough tap water to the working solution to make it up to 500 ml. This will easily process 1 sheet of 8x10, or 4 sheets of 4x5, or a roll of 120.

RR

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by mikoyan View Post
    Hello
    The agitation scheme has to be "minimal" to avoid too fast oxidation, or fog can be a bit high.
    Very toxic.
    I never got too fast oxidation with this developer. Stain and fog are even from run to run, even with a rotary jobo set at 24C. Ascorbic acid keeps it from it pretty well, sometimes too well

On toxicity, as long as you don't sip it, or fancy a dip, I won't say it's much worser than most developers.

That has not been my experience and I've been using it for over five years. Continuous rotation for 4x5 and semi stand for 120....no issues with either.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikoyan View Post
    Hello
    Very toxic.