Thread: finally caught up!

finally caught up!

I just printed the last contact sheet page in the darkroom for a while; negatives had been building up since December, in pages, but no proof contact prints made. I don't want to get like Vivian Maier and have thousands of rolls/pages of negatives unprinted. To prevent that, I have a little rule. No silver prints of any negative till I'm caught up with the proof contact prints and have them filed! I like darkroom work, but I like shooting better, so it's easy to get behind with managing negatives and I rarely get to print as many actual prints as I'd like. Feels great to be all caught up!

Re: finally caught up!

Whew! I'll certainly sleep well tonight knowing that.

(I think) I know what you're getting at though. My first order of business after shooting is always proofing negatives, and it does feel good to be caught up. Then, there's also the satisfaction of the ceremonial destruction and tossing of unworthy negatives. Plenty of time left afterwards to decide on making actual prints, once rendered. Often, rendering does seem a very appropriate way of considering results, in the lard-ical (-ish?) sense. I consider making prints to be ultimately more enriching then composing and clicking, though – and harbor absolutely no illusions that anyone will ever care whether I leave any unproofed negatives, or even fine art prints, behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Whew! I'll certainly sleep well tonight knowing that.

(I think) I know what you're getting at though. My first order of business after shooting is always proofing negatives, and it does feel good to be caught up. Then, there's also the satisfaction of the ceremonial destruction and tossing of unworthy negatives. Plenty of time left afterwards to decide on making actual prints, once rendered. Often, rendering does seem a very appropriate way of considering results, in the lard-ical (-ish?) sense. I consider making prints to be ultimately more enriching then composing and clicking, though – and harbor absolutely no illusions that anyone will ever care whether I leave any unproofed negatives, or even fine art prints, behind.
    That would be such a great title for a show of coastal photographs...

Harbor Illusions

Les

Jason, is it time for show and tell ? Or you going to force me to see these places on the way to NS ? :>)

Les

I shot 50 pages of negatives (about half LF, half MF) in 6 months, so if I didn't keep them organized and proofed, I'd soon get beyond disorganized. I'm not a master of personal organization, but it feels good to have order so I can find things when I get around to printing a few of them.

Les, I shoot plenty of coastal scenery, but I'm after compositions and moods more than postcards. Stop in and I'll show the places in person.