Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gralab timers

Gralab timers

I've used exclusively the 300 analog timer since about 1989 (which is decades older and acquired from a photographer's widow). Simple and iconic. For timing film developing, enlarger, alt proecss exposure, etc...

I have gotten with the times and moved ahead a couple decades or so. The 451 is my new favorite. It is available with membrane buttons that should be water/chemical resistant. It's easy to set and repeat, plenty of options. Monster start button, different brightnesses. Worth the <$100 used.

Makes a nice controller for my UV exposure box. Got another one for the enlarger. Will keep the 300 around for developing sheet film in the dark.

Re: Gralab timers

GraLab 300s are indestructible. I have one that I bought in 1972 and while it doesn't glow quite as bright as it used to (who does?), it still is working perfectly. I too use it for timing film development.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I once had a GraLab 545. What a horrible, horrible experience that was. The buttons were not back-lit, and in a darkened environment you had to guess what button you were pushing. I can't count the times I inadvertently hit the reset button, which of course was one of the biggest buttons right next to the start buttons. No wonder I have so little hair. I can recall once when a button popped off the timer in the dark. Just lovely.

I prefer the timers that have rotary dials, such as the GraLab 300, timo-o-lite, and Beseler timers that I have now. Are the membrane keys on the 451 back-lit?

I guess my darkroom is GraLab City. I have a 900 timing the enlarger, a 645 for process timing, and a 505 that I use as a secondary process timer, and my very first timer, a now ~35-year-old 300, still lurks in semi-retirement in the corner just in case. They've all served me well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - also have the foot switch, which I keep connected to the 645. Very... ah... footy!

2 Bit Hack

I have a well used 300 that needs a mending on the minute hand. It will set time and start but it will not move with the second hand. I have to shove it over to 0 at the last minute to get it to stop. Busser works like a champ................I turn it off.
    Regards

Marty

I have two Gralab 900 timers. I think they're wonderful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gralab900c.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	116679
    The 900 provides nine independent programmable steps with automatic advance from one to the next.
    I use them primarily to time the entire workflow when doing tray development. You can turn the display off.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

For the enlarger, metronome and foot switch. For the processing, GraLab but have been known to use a plain old wall clock.

John Olsen

I've got a couple of 20 and 30-old GraLabs. Last year I gave the older one a new toggle switch from Radio Shack, but otherwise they're hanging in there. Mine don't have reset buttons; maybe simpler is better?

I have an old Model 68, new in the 60's, and a recent used 300 (like new). Both are wall-mounted over the trays, buzzers OFF. I check them for accuracy with a stopwatch occasionally, and they all are identical within a fraction of a second. I also have a two-channel 655 with dimmer that I use for tray developing film when I prefer the timer to count UP rather than down. Have footswitch that is never used. The metronome is also handy at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    ...buzzers OFF...
    I don't think I've ever used my Gralab 300's buzzer – after all, the big-glowing analog face is so easy to read from near and far – but it's kinda cool that you can control the buzzer's volume, from ear-splitting fire-alarm level to scarcely audible.