Thread: Tripod suggestions

Tripod suggestions

Hi, I have been using my DSLR tripod with my Sinar Norma but really it's not fit for purpose and I need to invest in a proper heavy duty tripod for a large format camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably something that won't cost an arm and a leg.

thanks

Re: Tripod suggestions

Indoors or out?

Claes Uhnér

I use a Berlebach Report 3002 for my Norma. It is a basic, fairly inexpensive wooden tripod that certainly is up to the task at hand.

Since you have a Norma I can recommend that you fit whatever tripod you get with a dedicated two-way head for monorail cameras. Sinar made a good one but they tend to be somewhat pricey. Another option is Plaubel. I have a NK 6 head from Plaubel that works very well. It operates smoothly, is easy to use and coupled with a Report 3002 it holds a 8x10 Norma with a 480 mm lens securely.

Berlebach tripods are quite sturdy and would certainly work fine. I don't know where you are located, in Europe there is a very similar tripod range made by Wolf in Freiberg, Germany: http://www.wooden-tripods.com/index.html, also worth checking out.

Honestly, I think you'll find your answer faster by reading some of the many threads which allready exist on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by uhner View Post
    I use a Berlebach Report 3002 for my Norma. It is a basic, fairly inexpensive wooden tripod that certainly is up to the task at hand.

Since you have a Norma I can recommend that you fit whatever tripod you get with a dedicated two-way head for monorail cameras. Sinar made a good one but they tend to be somewhat pricey. Another option is Plaubel. I have a NK 6 head from Plaubel that works very well. It operates smoothly, is easy to use and coupled with a Report 3002 it holds a 8x10 Norma with a 480 mm lens securely.
    The four digit Report tripods like the 3002 are all now discontinued and out of production. The new models in the Report series have 3 digit product codes like 302 and unlike the older series have more pre-set leg angles and the tops are user interchangeable from a flat top plate to a leveling top plate to a regular center column to a leveling center column, etc. Each of the top modules come with a special spanning wrench that lets the user change from one type to another almost immediately.

Richard Johnson

The Sinar Norma Pan Tilt head is optimal for the Sinar, most people swear by them and they are excellent heads... but only for Sinar cameras.

Below the head, a Gitzo #3 series for field work with a 4x5 and moderate lenses. A heavier #5 series for 8x10 or extremes. Carbon Fiber if you can afford it but there are good bargains with older metal Gitzos.

There is a Berlebach tripod right now on this site quite reasonably. I have a Report 2042 which is quite nice, if you want something sturdier, I'd go for a Ries J100, though a good bit more money.

Ries Tripod have a lifetime warranty. The new ones are even better than the old styles. Comparing a berlebach to a ries is like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes.

I have a Ries Tripod made before the current owners. I like it over the last tripod I was using. I have put a 20 x 24 on one that had a 2meter bellows.
    I did have a chance to try a new one with the new knobs. I like the star knobs. The new one had a round knob at the tripod mount, the star knob is much easier to use and easier tighten down the camera.

I would get the Reis well worth it.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net