Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I still need my dedicated 6x17 camera or is a back enough?

Re: Do I still need my dedicated 6x17 camera or is a back enough?

Worth a read on the various options in 6x17 and their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I would rate a 6x17 back on a 4x5 as the worst option. http://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blog...en-hao-ptb-617

Although this is the large format forum where people tend to not like dedicated 617 by definition ... I love my Linhof. I am more into ULF 7x17 lately, but highly appreciate the advantages of the Linhof. This even more since I use the Canham. With the 617 I can shoot in almost every weather condition (where field cameras often fail), film is easy to load and carry, film development is way easier, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	116277

If you want to reduce the weight of your backpack, I'd suggest to leave one of both cameras at home and focus on using just one. This also applies for the number of lenses, the number of different types of film and possibly also for the number of films shot.

If you want to just have one camera capable for providing both formats, I'd sell the actual camera gear and buy a solid 5x7 (e.g. Mike Walker Titan for wide angle use). I wouldn't buy a dedicated 617 back as they are clumsy and add extra weight. 5x7 is easily cropped to 617 and any other format (smaller than 5x7) later in the process. You could mark different formats on the ground glass for easier composition.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumium View Post
    Although this is the large format forum where people tend to not like dedicated 617 by definition ... I love my Linhof. I am more into ULF 7x17 lately, but highly appreciate the advantages of the Linhof. This even more since I use the Canham. With the 617 I can shoot in almost every weather condition (where field cameras often fail), film is easy to load and carry, film development is way easier, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	116277

If you want to reduce the weight of your backpack, I'd suggest to leave one of both cameras at home and focus on using just one. This also applies for the number of lenses, the number of different types of film and possibly also for the number of films shot.

If you want to just have one camera capable for providing both formats, I'd sell the actual camera gear and buy a solid 5x7 (e.g. Mike Walker Titan for wide angle use). I wouldn't buy a dedicated 617 back as they are clumsy and add extra weight. 5x7 is easily cropped to 617 and any other format (smaller than 5x7) later in the process. You could mark different formats on the ground glass for easier composition.
    +1

I agree with Angus that a 6x17 back is the worst option for shooting with a 75mm, which is the only lens I use for 6x17 on a dedicated camera.

However I often shoot 5x4 & 6x17 and am about to build a dedicated camera that can shoot both formats, I'm using the focus track from a Speed Graphic with a Super Graphic front standard to allow for movements. I bought a large box of Graflex parts from Paris (France) last year and have already modified the Super Graphic front standard to fit any any Speed/Crown Graphic track (inc per-Anniversary).

The idea is to have a hand holdable dual format camera with a 6x17 and a 5x4 back, I currently shoot hand-held with a Super or Crown Graphic and a Gaoersi 617 when tripods aren't permitted.

Ian

I would love to have a hybrid view camera that can take either a 4x5 or 6x17 back!!! Hand-holdable not a requirements for me...

I love the way Shen Hao PTB617 solves the ground glass issue: a flip down ground glass that you can then attach a 617 roll film back. It would take some good engineering skills to design a back holder that can take both 4x5 and 617 backs and provide ground glass viewing for both!

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I love the way Shen Hao PTB617 solves the ground glass issue: a flip down ground glass that you can then attach a 617 roll film back. It would take some good engineering skills to design a back holder that can take both 4x5 and 617 backs and provide ground glass viewing for both!
    You just gave me an idea and it may not be too difficult at all, some lateral thinking is needed. I had initially planned to use 2 separate backs & focus screens.

If I made a book-form style back as used on older British Field cameras I could flip the focus panel up and slide the 6x17 or 5x4 back into place. I've already made adapters to allow me to use a Graflex RH10 RF holder on a Quarter plate Houghton Victo, and another to use modern 5x4 DDS with a Half plate Houghton Duchess so I know it works. I'll have the advantage of making the backs from scratch so have full control over the register.

The 5x4 part would be like a Graflok back without any focus screen so relatively light weight.

Ian

I would love to have a hybrid view camera that can take either a 4x5 or 6x17 back!!! Hand-holdable not a requirements for me...
    Not exactly what you want, but the idea will work for you. Some years ago I was given a Cambo SC-1. I'd been shooting 2x3 with Graphics, had many lenses on 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic board. SKGrimes attached a 2x3 Pacemaker front standard to a 2x3 Cambo board so that I could use my lenses on Graphic boards on the Cambo. When I decided that I wanted to shoot 6x12, I got a 6x12 roll holder that attaches to a Graflok-type back, a 4x5 Cambo standard with Graflok type of back, a Cambo-made pleated bellows that attaches to a 2x3 standard at one end and to a 4x5 standard at the other. Since I like short lenses, I made a simple bag bellows that attaches to a 2x3 Cambo standard at one end and to a 4x5er at the other.

Your situation is parallel to mine. The 5x7 Cambo SC-3 uses a 4x5 front standard at the front and a 5x7 standard at the rear. There are reducing backs (5x7 to 4x5) for it, or you can take my approach and carry a 4x5 Cambo, 5x7 rear standard, and 5x7 pleated bellows. If the pleated bellows won't let you use lenses as short as you want, making a short ugly stepped bag bellows isn't that hard.

Canham 5x7 cameras, either traditional or metal, would fit the bill. of course, you would still have to change the back of the camera, which is easily done, and then use the appropiate film holder or rollfilm back.

One of the advantages of the 6x17 rollfilm back, which in my opinion compensates for its extra weight, is the small size of the actual film. A roll of 120 is quite a bit smaller and lighter than a 5x7 film holder, and both are good for four 6x17s. The more pictures you intend to take, the more this favours the 6x17 back.

The Canham is a good possibility. However, if one has the money to commission one, or skillful enough to make one, I suspect one can make a 4x5+617 hybrid that is about not much bigger than a 4x5. The Shen Hao PTB617 is quite small and similar weight as the Chamonix F1. This is important to me as I am a small person.